Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    Funny you mention that! I started putting it on the girls with larger combs - looks like mud is smeared all over them! 'Tis the season....

2. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I agree, I love having an enclosed run for the winter, it really expands their coop space and they can still dig around in the dirt/leaves or whatever people have put down (I've got 6 bags of leaves in my shed to throw in as needed. I rake the leaves into piles and throw scratch and dried meal works in the piles, they love digging through them looking for treats. This is the main reason I expanded my run this year, last year they really did not want to come outside onto the snow. Nothing to find to eat anyways in that snow, lol

3. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Its hard to talk chickens when I have newbie daycare all day at work :).

I like the new guy but it definitely takes up much more of my tiem

4. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I'm on vacation this week [​IMG] so, you know, fabulous!

5. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Oh now I didn't see that interior picture! That's great!!! What a cozy coop. Now all you need is one little red ball on your CB tree. Chicken proff of course. Lol
    Kloppers it's hard to get interrupted with your BYC time! Lol. I'm on here too much though. This I know.

6. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    A Good productive day today! Outside of getting laundry done, I installed a Fasttrack rail and utility hooks in the chicken run, opposite my storage shelf to store my greenhouse panels when they are not in use. Also, hung the extension cord for my soon to be mounted webcam, just need to order an acrylic sphere to put it in, and get it up there. And since no one is laying right now (last egg was 4 days ago) I boarded up 2 nesting boxes, leaving 1 open (a middle one) that they can share when they start laying again. This will help keep the heat in the main henhouse area better, as my boxes hang off of the henhouse. Also did some general house cleaning.
    Say, does anyone grow meal worms on here? I'd like to put some in the fridge, save them for use later this winter. So do you put them in wheat bran? or just throw them in a container with nothing? I assume wheat bran...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  8. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    At risk of sounding like I'm bragging I sold a dozen dozen eggs today. Our girls are laying strong. About 3 - 3.5 dozen a day out of 50 hens
    We have a few ba girls and all the leghorns on heavy molt so no white eggs really

2 people like this.
  9. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Woot Woot! That is fantastic! All my girls are in different stages of molt, I imagine they will start laying again in January sometime? or next spring, either way, no biggy.

10. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Wow klop, thats impressive. I don't give the girls heat or additional light during winter unless a long period of subzero temperatures. I have people waiting for eggs and i have to tell them that my girls are on strike. It is what it is.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by