Surviving Minnesota!

Heya @MinnesotaNice! Hows that big coop treating you? Do you have photos of winter set up?

Hey BC, all is well aside from the tarp mishap! If it becomes too big of an issue, I'll double wrap it with thicker material. Okay, DH will
wink.png

I'm almost worried I may have too much ventilation in the coop, but it doesn't feel "wet" in there, which is good. From what I can tell, it's not too drafty either. It's just cold! We shut the two vents that are lower as most of the girls pile up around that area. I wish I could get them to roost.

I'm still waiting for my 200ft of cold weather extension cord to come in the mail. Should have just went to Menards. I can't hook my heated dog bowl up until then. Now, I'm just hauling warm water out in the morning and when I get home from work.

We saved the little Charlie Brown tree in the middle just because it's special like that. We also need a few steps on the pop door still. Look at that dust on the siding! They love the leaves though and it keeps their feet off of the cold ground.

This is what I just put down for her,, hope she eats something.. Mixed Berry yogurt, hash browns , mealworms and some organic seeds or something that my daughter adds to her all natural smoothies that she drinks or eats or whatever she does with them but I thought my chicken would like some..

Hey BC, all is well aside from the tarp mishap! If it becomes too big of an issue, I'll double wrap it with thicker material. Okay, DH will ;) I'm almost worried I may have too much ventilation in the coop, but it doesn't feel "wet" in there, which is good. From what I can tell, it's not too drafty either. It's just cold! We shut the two vents that are lower as most of the girls pile up around that area. I wish I could get them to roost. I'm still waiting for my 200ft of cold weather extension cord to come in the mail. Should have just went to Menards. I can't hook my heated dog bowl up until then. Now, I'm just hauling warm water out in the morning and when I get home from work. We saved the little Charlie Brown tree in the middle just because it's special like that. We also need a few steps on the pop door still. Look at that dust on the siding! They love the leaves though and it keeps their feet off of the cold ground.
Very nice...

This is what I just put down for her,, hope she eats something.. Mixed Berry yogurt, hash browns , mealworms and some organic seeds or something that my daughter adds to her all natural smoothies that she drinks or eats or whatever she does with them but I thought my chicken would like some..

That looks like something my DW would make me for supper....

It is just fantastic. Real real cozy for those birds this winter. Good work providing things for them to jump up on and get away if they start picking on each other...etc. They do get a little grumpy in the winter. But this set up will help with all of that. The space inside the coop is good too. I looked in your gallery for inside the coop photos. I just LOVE all that space. So great.

yah. Once the cord is here ...life will be easier. I plugged mine in this weekend too. Ran the cords and now we are up and running for winter.

Last edited:
LOL. Coffee.
you big spoiler. I love it.

If those are chia seeds though. Pull them out. They expand into a gelatinous glob in the stomach that may expand her crop, too much if she eats them all.

I'm guessing she's going for the mealworms first though.

Okay - walked, went back to the coop to check for eggs. One broken soft shelled one Could I have another pullet starting to lay? That would be nice. Gilda Radner, the little Barred Rock I just got last month. Shes acting like it.

Anyway, I tipped them all upside down because of YOU to look at butts (vents). Each looked healthy except for the one that was laying and then stopped laying and was never a good layer. Her vent was moist enough but a little on the dark pink, bordering red side. Come to think of it her waffle looks pretty light colored too. Hmmmmm. One plus One might be equaling two here. What does it equal though?

You have time to speculate on this as I will be gone all afternoon. Thank You for your helpful conclusions.

Chia seeds do this.

If they are flax seeds I think they will go through with no worries.

I don't know what to make of her red vent Ivie. Do you have a picture. LOL. I know the whole checking of butts is so much fun...and now we want a picture. Hard to tell what's up with her.

Back
Top Bottom