Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    We're getting some fluctuating temps here this next week, I think, Coffee. So you may be okay with keeping her in so others don't peck at the dried blood and such--is most important now.

After two treatments of pour-on that should have taken care of mites or lice. For sure. There are though those that do not respond to medications and my fingers are crossed that that isnt it.

It is an odd case. I know there are a few eye issues related to respiratory disorders. Vet Rx has oil of oregano in it. $6 bottle and is a good thing to have on hand. It's sort of a naturaly remedy cure all and I wonder if she would find some relief with it. In the mean time with the oral clindamycin I'd do topical neosporin around the eyes after cool water cleanings. That's just my thoughts. And what I may try to do.

Pooor thing.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Welcoomne Sleepy.

I cannot help you with the plate, I know nothing about them. Burning their poor little wings is bad.

My DW called, I partially succeeded with my waterers, both of them had some open cups.

I think the one in the chicken coop is not going to be a problem. I am going to put a light in there soon so I get some eggs. I have the waterer almost under the ICU. I am going to hang a heat lamp under it, It has plenty of room and will give light to all the birds and raise the temp a few degrees on the cups.

I think I am going to have to move the turkey waterer into the turkey house. I did not want to do this but it is well ventilated and hopefully will not be a probelm. I should be doing it today, but I am stuck here.

3. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Can be molt, sickness, mites/lice, feather pickers(herself or others), vent gleet

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I know only 10 pages, I need 20 at least everyday, or I get bored. If I get bored I do something my wife does not like. That is a bad thing.

5. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Hi SleepOwl, I would perhaps change out the heat place for a heating pad that you can turn off the automatic shut off if possible, I ordered some from sunbeam. I got the idea off of the mama heating pad thread in the mean time, put something, a pillow case, or towel or something between them and the heating plate, and elevate it so it cannot touch them?

Wow, you are busy! Hahaha, we all end up out there in our PJ's at one time or another! [​IMG]

Great advice BC.
    Yes, vet RX is good. the Ramsey feed guy has it, he may also have an idea of what it is, or may have something that can help. Also, if you want to go this route, the Vet at All Pets in Zimmerman is fantastic and he does see chickens... Not sure how much money you want to spend though.

6. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop

7. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    We got more snow last night and with the milder temperature it stuck to the highways. Slippery slippery. They had everything sanded. But I had to learn to drive on ice again. So glad I live in the sticks.

8. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralphie, I hate to tell you but my thoughts regarding small children is similar to W. C. Fields. Some of you may have to look that name up do you youth and inexperience?
    I have told my remaining son that if he has any children he may bring them around when they are 9 or 10. My wife probably has different ideas, but then again she usually does...
    Cyrus congrats to the nephew, and I hope that he was not the only successful hunter in your group. It seems that again this year many hunters did not even see a deer?
    Winter is now serious. We got a fresh dusting of snow over night, and it seems we have seen the last of unheated water founts thawing over the course of the day. The birds seem to adjust better than the bird keeper, but them the birds are not thawing founts and carrying water.
    Coffee god luck with the bird. It appears you are doing all that is reasonable.

9. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    New thread? I can dig [​IMG]

So, next year I definitely need to use a thicker tarp material to wrap my run. I few areas got caught on rogue wires sticking out and ripped. Minnesota winter mistake number 1.

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I dislike all little kids not carrying my DNA EJB. So I am not that different than WC Fields.

But I love the time with the grandkids. As I have said they are way better than my kids were. I am guessing it is because my grandkids have better grandparents for role models than my kids had.....

Welcome MinnesotaNice!

I wish I just had one winter error. I think EJB is right the birds do better and worry less about winter than we do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by