Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Aaaahhhh, It's that time of year again, Time for Planes, Trains, and Automobiles... [​IMG]

2. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I have had lights on timers ever since the first of september to keep the girls from going out of laying. Our customers are always hungry for our eggs! We sold all summer long at the farmers market, but that ended in October so we have been working hard to keep the business up now that we are in the 'off season'. We even started our own facebook business page! Check us out if you are curious - search for 'Whistling Dixie Farms'. We have been trying to share flock and chicken stuff at least weekly. In fact I just posted this week's #MeetAChickenMonday

we arent getting rich from it, but it does pay the feed bill. We really enjoy our chickens so that is just a fun bonus activity. Sitting down at the farmers market is a blast and we like telling people about our girls and educating them about chickens.

1 person likes this.
  3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    i have a bin of mealies. They are going on their 4th year of I don't know how many cycles. LOL. Wheat bran is what you use for food. And then they need to drink too. So you need to place an apple slice or berry on a piece of thin cardboard or something and then they'll crawl out for a drink. Which reminds me I need to get a small piece of apple in my bin.

I didn't take care of it like I should have and just recently cleaned them out and found a few surviving larvae and decided to start over with them and let them got to beetles and keep working my supply up and up.
    Good movie. "Those ARENT PILLOWS!"

4. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    MN

5. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop

6. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop

1 person likes this.
  7. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I have read several tutorials on it and watched several youtubes about it but haven't tried. I feel like it might be too much work to be worth it for 50 hens. thoughts?

8. I am with you Klop. But I only have 5 chickens.

9. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Hmmm, I don't do much work with mine, add apple slices every 2 to 3 days, add more wheat bran every few weeks. I've only totally cleaned out the aquarium once at about 8 months. Mine is just n a 10 gallon aquarium. I do not separate the beatles, pupae, or larvae like some do. Basically just go in and grab worms to give to the girls. I don't usually give them the worms in summer, want it mainly for fall (molting) and winter months. I followed this guys instructions:

How to raise meal worms

Last winter I didn't get much action, it was too cold in my house, but this spring they really took off. I'm thinking of putting a seedling mat under the aquarium to keep them cycling faster.

They are chicken crack, lol

edited to say weeks, not months, lol

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    oh, and when I have a sick hen that won't eat anything, she will eat a live meal worm...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by