Surviving Minnesota!

I agree, change the national bird to the Canada Goose (might need to change the name or it would be a little weird haha), then classify bald eagles as a invasive species. I have had so many times where I could have got out a shotgun and wiped it off the face of the sky. Protected animals always take advantage of their protection and just dance in front of a gun barrel for fun. 

I am glad the national bird is an eagle! If it was a turkey or goose I couldnt go goose or turkey hunting and the number of geese would get horribly high causing more disease.

OK Fellow Minnesotan's - I am a newbie to the Hen House. Here is the scoop.....Mom wants hens for laying, 2 kids want 4H showing hens. (Ages 9 & 11) We are looking to embark on this adventure this sping.....what recommendations do you have for breeds as well as tips and tricks for the cold central MN winters. Looking for a flock of 20-30 initially the Hen House 12X18 foot with 8 foot side walls. Recommendations (on everything) PLEASE!

Okay - I am trying to learn to upload the pictures. This is a little red from the brooder light yet. She just was fed and watered and massaged. This does not look like much but she is doing well in this picture. Bright eyed huh? Sweet heart. SC = Sick Chick. But she is not really sick so I have decided she will be Special Chick.

Okay - I am trying to learn to upload the pictures. This is a little red from the brooder light yet. She just was fed and watered and massaged. This does not look like much but she is doing well in this picture. Bright eyed huh? Sweet heart. SC = Sick Chick. But she is not really sick so I have decided she will be Special Chick.

How is she doing? I am a little worried, I have another one with what appears to be splayed legs. I have her legs tied and a "cast" around her hips. I am feeding her egg yolk.

She is eating about 2 - 2 1/2 ml at a time several times a day. How much does your eat? I am still feeding her raw yolk.

My worry is my chickens could be too inter-bred. Which I understand is a very real possibility with these birds? If this one lives I will put her in the layer flock. I will not breed one of these with a defect.

I am also thinking if I keep the Creamettes, I will have to buy a rooster from somewhere else. But even that does not assure the genetic diversity I need. The poor little girl lays here and cries. I feel so sorry for her. I am not a great nurse/doctor. I do not have time to spend with them. I have "things" to do...

Judy is going away for 3-4 days. Not good for this little gal...

Ivie did you want me to run her over to your hospital?

But eagle hunting would be worth it!

I would never say that. You would do less time in jail and spend less on fines running over your neighbor...
lau.gif

Poor little baby. Is she alone? Maybe you could just stick her in your pocket. ..
hmm.png

I left my last hatched chick in there until today, but she needed to go to the brooder. I cannot have the other one turn into a runt because of my unrealistic desire to heal this one. I know it can be done. BUT I do not think I am the person for it.

We all have to know our weaknesses. Healing babies is mine.

Ralph I hate splayed leg! I only got it in my PB Welsummers though. I have a feeling inbreeding makes the chances of it worse. I hope she gets better! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom