Surviving Minnesota!

This morning a Bald eagle swooped down to about 10 feet above the ground right next the ducks yard! Fortunately it swooped right back up, but it certainly scared the daylights out of the ducks and geese. Aren't eagles supposed to be down south for the winter??? :(

I bet they were scared!! We feed them about 200 yards away from our run and they dont pay attention to our ladies and gents. We feed them fish guts and whatever is left over after cleaning fish. I saw one yesterday and it was so pretty!

I bet they were scared!! We feed them about 200 yards away from our run and they dont pay attention to our ladies and gents. We feed them fish guts and whatever is left over after cleaning fish. I saw one yesterday and it was so pretty!
Yeah, they definitely were much more shook up than if it was just another hawk! They are beautiful, but it's almost like talking about how pretty a lions teeth are when your in its mouth. Do eagles migrate, or does this mean it has a mate and a nest nearby?

That's so weird, my husband brought in one like that the other night (it was frozen). I was worried it was a calcium level issue? We don't do layer feed just because I read that the high calcium in the feed can be bad for the rooster, so had out oyster shells, but haven't filled that up since before the winter slow down.
I think put the oyster shells back out...we're getting longer days and your girls will be picking up anytime now. I did all-flock for a while with Oyster shells on the side because I'd read the same...but then I wasn't getting my layers laying the way I wanted them to and decided to go back to Layer crumbles as nutritionally that was more important to me. It made the difference. At any rate, the rooster is hatchery and although I love him...I wanted more from my hens. He seems to do okay with the feed. No issues ...other than toes. If he was a Grand Champion Breeding stock...etc...then I'd rethink his feed.

This morning a Bald eagle swooped down to about 10 feet above the ground right next the ducks yard! Fortunately it swooped right back up, but it certainly scared the daylights out of the ducks and geese. Aren't eagles supposed to be down south for the winter???
sad.png
Nathan: we're getting some Warm Gusts from Winds and updrafts and such. They probably have followed that wind pattern a bit. He may be a scout...? Usually they will stay where there's open water.

Speaking of which...the Lake up here at work...is pushing ice up on shore. I'm not sure if it was expansion from that freeze last Saturday or if it's a push from the recent warm up. It's still solid out there...with ice houses and such...but I wonder with the freeze just before Xmas on this particular lake if it will go out really early this year.

I think put the oyster shells back out...we're getting longer days and your girls will be picking up anytime now. I did all-flock for a while with Oyster shells on the side because I'd read the same...but then I wasn't getting my layers laying the way I wanted them to and decided to go back to Layer crumbles as nutritionally that was more important to me. It made the difference. At any rate, the rooster is hatchery and although I love him...I wanted more from my hens. He seems to do okay with the feed. No issues ...other than toes. If he was a Grand Champion Breeding stock...etc...then I'd rethink his feed.

Nathan: we're getting some Warm Gusts from Winds and updrafts and such. They probably have followed that wind pattern a bit. He may be a scout...? Usually they will stay where there's open water.

Speaking of which...the Lake up here at work...is pushing ice up on shore. I'm not sure if it was expansion from that freeze last Saturday or if it's a push from the recent warm up. It's still solid out there...with ice houses and such...but I wonder with the freeze just before Xmas on this particular lake if it will go out really early this year.

There is a lake pretty close by me, he might be from there. If he was a scout, I hope he sends a message that my property has no food for eagles!

I have never had frostbit toes so I cant really help... I'm sure its only a matter of time till I do!

I am thinking its time to cull hens this fall... I think we should replace the whole flock with Buckeyes... Idk... I will keep a few of our favorite hens and the rest will be stew hens... Maybe we will sell them for... I have the incubator heating up.for a few replacement as we speak... I just keep.feeding the addiction...
1f600.png

that sounds quite drastic for a breed you haven't even kept yet!

Slow roasted beef and mashed potatoes for lunch with candied carrots and creamy horseradish sauce. YUM!!

I definitely will be trying to grow horseradish in my garden this year. I may dig a hole and bury an old tractor tire I have to grow them in as I read that they can spread and take over an area if not contained.

Nathan- I see Bald Eagles year round here. Plenty of roadkill for them to eat through the winter I suppose. So far they have left my birds alone but scare the tar out of them when they are around though.

Slow roasted beef and mashed potatoes for lunch with candied carrots and creamy horseradish sauce. YUM!!

I definitely will be trying to grow horseradish in my garden this year.  I may dig a hole and bury an old tractor tire I have to grow them in as I read that they can spread and take over an area if not contained.

HORSE RADISH CHOKES OUT ANY PLANTS BY IT! IT SPREAD TO OUR RHUBARB AND KILLED IT! We will never plant more!

Back
Top Bottom