Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I do not understand the term Jump the broom, Sorry...

I am thinking of getting an upgraded newer wife tonight, if that is what you mean. I have offered my old wife a job as house keeper for Carrie and I, She has not said yes to that yet.

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Rhetts here is URL for DNR trees, I am sure St. Louis county offers trees too, they all seem to.

www.dnr.state.mn.us/forestry

It looks like the app screwed up the active link, sorry.

I got it kind of fixed, third column on the bottom is tree link. about half way down.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    For those desiring a smaller number of each tree species than is required by the Mn. state program, most soil and water conservation districts throughout the state offer trees and shrubs in small quantities.
    Scotch pine do not require fire to release seeds. The fire requirement is for pinus banksiana which is commonly known as Jack Pine.
    In 1983 I think my FIL and I planted hundreds of Red Pine and a few Scotch Pine and Blue Spruce. The Red Pine are now quite large trees of 20 to 30 ft. and have not self seeded to this point. The Scotch Pine grew much faster than the Reds initially but are now about the same height. The Scotch Pine has been self seeding for several years with some of the volunteers about 4 ft.
    I have planted Red Oak from acorns with some of them now being about 20 ft and have produced acorns for the last 3 or 4 years.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Thanks for all the tree info!!

5. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Hahaha, how do those hats stay on?

1 person likes this.
  6. Thanks for the Update Ralphie!!!

7. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Google SWCD and the name of your county and you should find the info you need. I typed a big message on how ours works and it got lost in cyber space... It's pretty simple though.

1 person likes this.
  8. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Hope you have all been well. Been busy so havent been on much.

Not my favorite pictures but its the only one!! Dont judge!!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Oh, how sweet! looks like you all were having a great time! you guys look great!

10. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    @holm25, nice picture!

@Bogtown Chick and @Cluckies, I don't have a rooster, so I guess it could be stress. She was missing a few more areas a wee bit lower when I was out there earlier. It might be a bit of a reach, but could the snow stress her out? She was the only one who wouldn't leave the coop/run when we did get that snowfall last week.

I'll add some supplements to the water and get more protein in their diets. I sat in the coop for awhile tonight and all was calm. I'll spend more time out there tomorrow. I have been tossing a variety of foods in their hanging baskets. I may get some toys or make something to keep them busy. I'll look into how to make the hen saddle. Awesome idea. I do have blu-kote and Rooster Booster pecking stuff. Should I use either of them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by