Surviving Minnesota!

Ok after catching up I'm still confused!! Did Ralphie run off to 10 R C to jump the broom ?

I do not understand the term Jump the broom, Sorry...

I am thinking of getting an upgraded newer wife tonight, if that is what you mean. I have offered my old wife a job as house keeper for Carrie and I, She has not said yes to that yet.

For those desiring a smaller number of each tree species than is required by the Mn. state program, most soil and water conservation districts throughout the state offer trees and shrubs in small quantities.
Scotch pine do not require fire to release seeds. The fire requirement is for pinus banksiana which is commonly known as Jack Pine.
In 1983 I think my FIL and I planted hundreds of Red Pine and a few Scotch Pine and Blue Spruce. The Red Pine are now quite large trees of 20 to 30 ft. and have not self seeded to this point. The Scotch Pine grew much faster than the Reds initially but are now about the same height. The Scotch Pine has been self seeding for several years with some of the volunteers about 4 ft.
I have planted Red Oak from acorns with some of them now being about 20 ft and have produced acorns for the last 3 or 4 years.

my sister came across some patterns she just had to share with me. Well, naturally I have to share them with you. She said she was gonna make them for me. Ha Ha too funny I think.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/chicken-coat

close_up_yellow_chicken_small2.jpg

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/christmas-pudding-chicken-coat-with-matching-hat
Christmas_Pudding_Chicken_coat_eating_shot_small2.jpg
Hahaha, how do those hats stay on?

Quote: agreed... They don't usually feather pick out while free ranging, some do though, so you may have to go inside with them to see who is doing it. I have a couple of feather pickers, it is a struggle sometimes... right now they seem ok though, probably cause they don't feel well from molting.

For those desiring a smaller number of each tree species than is required by the Mn. state program, most soil and water conservation districts throughout the state offer trees and shrubs in small quantities.
Scotch pine do not require fire to release seeds. The fire requirement is for pinus banksiana which is commonly known as Jack Pine.
In 1983 I think my FIL and I planted hundreds of Red Pine and a few Scotch Pine and Blue Spruce. The Red Pine are now quite large trees of 20 to 30 ft. and have not self seeded to this point. The Scotch Pine grew much faster than the Reds initially but are now about the same height. The Scotch Pine has been self seeding for several years with some of the volunteers about 4 ft.
I have planted Red Oak from acorns with some of them now being about 20 ft and have produced acorns for the last 3 or 4 years.
I've planted alot of trees, probably a hundred or so, or more, maples (many, many maples), emerald luster, celebration, autumn blaze, sugar, silver, Crimson king maple, variegated maple (would not recommend, does not grow well in Minnesota) a line of Amur maples for a wind break (leave as a bush), apple trees, (honey crisp, harold red, pollinating crabs). mountain and foothills ash, Black Alder tree, Oak, pear, curly poplar, regular poplar, linden, and boulevard lindens, (I think linden trees have just gorgeous shape) sunburst locust, blue spruce, one pine I don't know what it is, got it from a lady at work, birch trees (they did not take) mayday tree (would not recommend, like the cherry tree can get black knot from another tree up to 5 miles away, ours did, and we had to cut it down, as it was on the trunk, no way to cut it off.) hmmm, there may be more, but I forget...

The yellow of the sunburst locust is beautiful against the backdrop of the crimson king maple.

When you buy a house on a field, you tend to plant alot of trees.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Hope you have all been well. Been busy so havent been on much.

Not my favorite pictures but its the only one!! Dont judge!!

Last edited:
@holm25, nice picture!

@Bogtown Chick and @Cluckies, I don't have a rooster, so I guess it could be stress. She was missing a few more areas a wee bit lower when I was out there earlier. It might be a bit of a reach, but could the snow stress her out? She was the only one who wouldn't leave the coop/run when we did get that snowfall last week.

I'll add some supplements to the water and get more protein in their diets. I sat in the coop for awhile tonight and all was calm. I'll spend more time out there tomorrow. I have been tossing a variety of foods in their hanging baskets. I may get some toys or make something to keep them busy. I'll look into how to make the hen saddle. Awesome idea. I do have blu-kote and Rooster Booster pecking stuff. Should I use either of them?

Back
Top Bottom