Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Kloppers that really depends on the weather and if you decide to shear the trees or not.

I worked on Christmas tree farms for 3-4 years while in High school.

The species of tree matters, Norway pines grow relatively fast, Spruce slower. Basically the shorter the needle the slower it grows.

A pine tree puts on one row of branches every year. So count the branches and you will get an idea, remember though one row of branches is left many times in the field when the tree is cut.

Shearing a tree slows the growth as you cut the new growth back each year to make the "perfect" shaped tree. I remember the tree farm owners were very fussy on Spruce trees and wanted us to try and cut as little as possible off them.

Also Deer can slow the growth down and make some pretty ugly trees, they love the new growth. I am cutting our tree from some trees we planted 7 years ago. It is not a big tree and kind of charlie brown like. But they work for us, it gives people something to talk about when they leave from visiting us.

If I was your age living where you do, I would plant Scotch pine and norways. I am noit sure how well spruce or balsam would do down there. Scotch trees maybe hard to get seedlings for, I just do not see them much anymore. I got my last trees trhough the DNR, you cannot sell them wirth roots on them for X number of years, I forget the number.

Pine trees are fun to grow look at and fun to sell, So go for it!

They also give cover to birds..

1 person likes this.
  2. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Coffee have you thought about the mylar tape to keep hawks away? I've heard good things about it. http://shop.niteguard.com/collections/repellent-tape

3. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    It appears I have been remiss in gioving you details of our Nashville time. Nothing exciting yet.

We went to a bunch of bars and watched some young unknowns, all of whom want to be stars. Some are nice kids with good voices, others think their poop doesn't stink are aging beyond the point they should be counting on stardom and sing like crap.

It is interesting though.

We went to the country music hall of fame yesterday. We spent most the day there. Interesting place with lots of history of country music in it.

I saw some thing I never knew existed, like a 10 string guitar! They did not show anyone playing it, it was just on exhibit. The most amazing vehicle was Webb Pierce's car! Talk about gawdy.

We drove for hours in rush hour traffic to go to Hendersonville. We went to trinity broadcasting to sit in an audience for a show taping. It was free, kind of a nice break, the music was amazing.

John Conlee, Ricky Scaggs and his Wife, and a bunch of Christian music singers, I have no idea who they were. The sound quality was better than at the Opry and our seat were super. 3 rd right in front Aisle end.

Today is the day that will change Carries life forever! She will meet me around 10pm tonight. I am thinking of using deodorant for the meeting. I wish I had JJ with me, I know she should meet him too.

We are just going to site see today. We are thinking of going to Fontenal (Barbara Mandrells former home) Use to be largest log home in world. BUT not sure it is worth the price of admission to it. We might just go downtown and listen to music too, We have not decided yet.

There you are all up to date.

2 people like this.
  4. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    @Coffee 1st , sorry about your loss. Agreed, neighbor kid should have came and told you. Kids just don't think about that stuff. Some adults don't either, unfortunately.

Question for you folks....

I was checking out a few of my chickens yesterday and Johnny Cash is looking rough around the face. Is this all normal? Molting? At first I thought she was getting some different late coloring in on her head (She's 7 months old) and now I see she's losing her feathers....I think. I haven't noticed her being picked on. She seems healthy, otherwise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have another girl named Elvis who never really had a full load of feathers on the base of her back, but now she has like 6. Kinda funny actually! She's my OE. Another case of molting? When I was looking at her other back feathers, I was thinking maybe she was being picked on....the feathers are jagged. I haven't seen it though. She's higher in the pecking order. I also haven't seen her pecking herself. No scabbing or blood on the area and Elvis is healthy otherwise. Thoughts? That's a piece of leaf on the left side. They were digging around all day!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  5. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Coffie, sorry to read about the loss of your bird to the hawk. Hawks can be a big problem. Goshawks have been a big killer for me. If they find a food source they will stay around all winter.

Klop, what Ralphie said about xmas trees is quite accurate. Spruce trees dry out much more rapidly than pines or balsam. Depending upon the type of tree you wish, I would suggest either Scotch Pine or Fraser Fir. Fraser looks just like Balsam Fir but is probably better suited to your climate. Scotch Pine has a more dense growth than Norway and the needles are somewhat shorter, but Scotch grows faster.
    You should have no trouble finding a source for either variety, and as Ralphie has written whether you prune/shear to shape or not will impact time to harvest.
    I would anticipate that the U of Mn would have information that would be of value. It would be geared toward commercial growers but be of just as much value to someone considering what you seem to be interested in.

6. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Thanks for the advice! What haven't you done in your life :)

The county conservation catalog should come out soon for this year. I will see what they have on the evergreen section. We need to order some trees to fill in the wind break this year. Maybe plant some poplars too

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

LOL now you sound like my SIL.

Unfortunately, I have done too many things. I get bored easy and have to try something new all time.

I did not realize this is a side effect of ADHD, and I never realized I had that until a year ago when I was tested for it. I just thought I was a lazy no good with lack of "sticktoitiveness". As was mentioned in the thread I have PTSD. I finally found a doctor that relates ADHD to that. Life has never been better for me. I expect I will not be doing all those things ever again and will be happy and satisified staying in one place and enjoying live.

I just wish my teachers and parents had known this 55 years ago.

Oh, and the real reason I came back here was to tell you about the Hall of fame., They have clothes from all these famous singers on display.

They all have one thing in common. They have 14 inch waists! and are 4'9" tall.

I also thought Johnny Cash was a big guy, WRONG! he was around 6 ft I am guessing by his cloths but I doubt his waist ever went over 38 inches his whole life!

If you have meet Aussiegal you know she is a smaller short person, the clothes these people wear are so small even she could not get in them! It is amazing!

A larger than life person like myself would never make it in the music world, I guess its a good thing I can't sing.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  8. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    1 person likes this.
  9. Rhetts

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Coffee-sorry about your girl! Seeing the aftermath of what the hawk has done is awful! [​IMG]

10. Rhetts

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralph's trip and talking about museums has me thinking of one we went to eons ago in St. Joseph, Missouri. It was the Patee House Museum. Amazing stuff inside. It had like 4 floors of things to look at. It was huge. I hope to go back some day.
    Also antique stores. There is one ginormous one in Oacoma, South Dakota. Right off the freeway. It has so much stuff you need days to look at it all and I am not kidding! Buildings of antiques. Some truly amazing things you can find there. Anytime we go out that way we make sure that we stop there. I love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by