Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Wow, that sure is a cool house, Ralpie!

Thank you @MinnesotaNice!
  2. Good Morning Ralphie!!! Hope you are at a coffee shop and not sitting around waiting for others!! It hasn't even gotten cold here and I am missing the sun.
  3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Chicken Obsessed

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Happy Monday morning all. Was glad to be home yesterday. I risked it yesterday and left the pop door open Saturday night and all were well and accounted for sitting on the front step when we got home Sunday at noon. They must have just got there as there wasn't one poo pile yet to sweep off.

We unloaded a 10 ft Christmas tree and I got it decorated in under 3 hours with 2 teenagers.

We then went to my parents house under a "hurry up and get up here."
    My dad gave the kids an epiphone electric guitar. DS already knows the first riff of Smoke on the Water so I have that playing in my head. Both kids were big smiles and I believe it will be the gift that keeps on giving.
    I hope they stick with it.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    RIP Kathy,,, noticed last night their was only 7 on roost when I locked up but figured there must be 1 snuggled in the middle. This morning I counted and only 7 .. I found a pile of feathers nothing but feathers no blood no bones . The boy next door came out of his house and said I seen that hawk that got your bird sorry about that but it was kinda cool... REALLY.... He could have tried to help her or come and get me.. I'm sure it would have been to late but I feel bad for her.. Now I have the rest locked in the run. And I have to watch my dogs because they are all smaller then the chickens... [​IMG]
  5. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Sorry for your loss. I know it is hard to lose birds to Hawks/eagles
  6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Coffee Sorry about the loss.

I personally hate hawks and eagles. I think the government should retrain them to eat only wild animals or carrion.

I have tried the CD's on a line and flying shirts, Scare crows none of them work, The best thing for me is getting my lazy butt dogs to stay outside with the chickens. I have not tried the stuffed owl on a post yet. I might.

The chickens are so happy when they can run free, it is a trade off I make. If I had just 7-8 chickens like you in town I would be devastated. SO knowing that my condolences again. May the hawk hit a highline!

And may you NOT wap the neighbor kid in the head with a rolled up newspaper. like he deserves.
  7. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Chicken Obsessed

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Sorry about the loss of your SLW, Coffee. Tough to see the pile of feathers and know somebody was watching it happening...well that's sorta.... [​IMG] ticks ya off doesn't It? crap.
  8. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    So sorry [​IMG]
  9. So sorry Coffee. :hugs Apparently that kid is heartless, :mad: I know if I or any of my family saw one of my birds being attacked we wouldn't just stand there watching it.
  10. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    My Coop
    She was beautiful, so very sorry. Terrible that that happened with the hawk. Kids can be awful. I had 10 ducks when I was growing up, 8 Peking and 2 khaki Campbell's, I had them out on Orono Lake in elk river, the neighbors grandkid, who was 3 or 4 years older than me killed 2 of my Pekings... One with a brick, one with a bow and arrow. When I was crying and yelling at him, he said "sorry, I didn't know they were yours" like that would have made a difference? They were obviously someone's pets. Kids can be terrible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by