Surviving Minnesota!

I never said where I was getting chicks - Only that I was feeding them store bought blend initially. I'd rather get them from somewhere local!!

It's loamy. I'd say slightly more sand, but I've had great success using a similar method in my raised beds. The run will be attached to the compost bin (which will be on the far end, and the coop will be on the other side). I haven't decided in dimensions of the run, as I only plan on it being a temporary holding place. I intend for the hens to be free run in the garden to help with pests.

Oh and not ruling out other egg colors (this goes back to I haven't decided on breed, only want good egg layers).

I never said where I was getting chicks - Only that I was feeding them store bought blend initially. I'd rather get them from somewhere local!!

It's loamy. I'd say slightly more sand, but I've had great success using a similar method in my raised beds. The run will be attached to the compost bin (which will be on the far end, and the coop will be on the other side). I haven't decided in dimensions of the run, as I only plan on it being a temporary holding place. I intend for the hens to be free run in the garden to help with pests.

Sorry, I misunderstood where you intended to get the chicks.

The "loamy" part might help you over my pure sand. I think BC uses that method and it works for her. Free ranging is cool, I have been doing it for years, but really took a hit from predators this year..

if you want to go coon, fox. coyote, possum, or any other fur bearing critter hunting, come on over!

As I said glad to have you here.

Sorry, I misunderstood where you intended to get the chicks.

The "loamy" part might help you over my pure sand. I think BC uses that method and it works for her. Free ranging is cool, I have been doing it for years, but really took a hit from predators this year..

if you want to go coon, fox. coyote, possum, or any other fur bearing critter hunting, come on over!

As I said glad to have you here.
Oh no that's horrible! Did you at least catch the critter responsible?

Morning . More rain overnight . Really should weed the garden now that the soil is soft . Rain should make some mushrooms grow . Something is eating on my tomatoes . Chipmunk , rabbit or bird . I suspect chipmunk .

No, I have been remaking my pens and runs. I have installed an electric poultry netting fence around my breeding pens. Initially I was not impressed with it, but after I redid it and made it "squarer" it does great. I think I was asking it to do more than it was designed for.

I am putting electric around all the pens coops and runs. I have always had them covered with bird netting, so I am lowering the roosts and cross members so the stupid turkeys no longer roost with their heads within reach of a low flying owl..

I have spent nearly 3 grand on fencing this past month.

Morning . More rain overnight . Really should weed the garden now that the soil is soft . Rain should make some mushrooms grow . Something is eating on my tomatoes . Chipmunk , rabbit or bird . I suspect chipmunk .

I might have some baby Chipmunk elimination critters, if we can find where she hid them, they are of the Holm lines.

No, I have been remaking my pens and runs. I have installed an electric poultry netting fence around my breeding pens. Initially I was not impressed with it, but after I redid it and made it "squarer" it does great. I think I was asking it to do more than it was designed for.

I am putting electric around all the pens coops and runs. I have always had them covered with bird netting, so I am lowering the roosts and cross members so the stupid turkeys no longer roost with their heads within reach of a low flying owl..

I have spent nearly 3 grand on fencing this past month.

Yikes! Hopefully, it will all pay off.

Back
Top Bottom