Surviving Minnesota!

The one I took care of today is from the same group your poults came from. He was 6 1/2 months old and dressed out at 14 lbs. 2 oz.
I'm doing my year-old Toms. Third one today, but I'm gonna have to take a break. No more room to rest them in the fridge. That little bottleneck slipped my mind (duh). I've done three, which at least is three more than none. Third one I had to cut up so he'd fit. I never did that before. Sloppy job, and boy was it a lot more work that way. :eek:

I have seven, so that leaves me four males. Will my Sweetgrass boys be able to mate my grown gals (in case I want poults) or will that be a while?

I'm doing my year-old Toms. Third one today, but I'm gonna have to take a break. No more room to rest them in the fridge. That little bottleneck slipped my mind (duh). I've done three, which at least is three more than none. Third one I had to cut up so he'd fit. I never did that before. Sloppy job, and boy was it a lot more work that way. :eek:

I have seven, so that leaves me four males. Will my Sweetgrass boys be able to mate my grown gals (in case I want poults) or will that be a while?
Parting them out gets easier. I have started parting all the ones for me , but I give most of the backs to the dog... so I leave the lungs and such.

Another way to rest them is in a cooler with enough ice or snow to keep the temp down but not enough to cause freezing.
Yes and what do you mean "(in case)"? :lau

Are you saving the back medallions for yourself? They are the best part.
I didn't think of that. :eek: That's my favorite part! Hopefully I didn't cut through them... I put the backbone in a ziplock in the fridge with the stock pieces, but I intend to roast all the pieces for more flavor. You can be sure I pull out the yummiest bits before I toss anything into the pot!

I didn't think of that. :eek: That's my favorite part! Hopefully I didn't cut through them... I put the backbone in a ziplock in the fridge with the stock pieces, but I intend to roast all the pieces for more flavor. You can be sure I pull out the yummiest bits before I toss anything into the pot!
I toss the backs in the pot and eat those medallions while I am taking the meat off of the bones. No one else ever gets a chance at those here.

Back
Top Bottom