Surviving Minnesota!

Sorry for the losses Ralphie. Winter can be hard here. I know birds are suppose to be hardy in the cold but I am for the fairer months myself. Where we live the heat is a non factor quite honestly.

I do worry about mosquitos and tick diseases and predators but the good that happens free ranging — pasturing — the stance and happiness exuded it’s such a good thing.
Anxiously awaiting the melt!

page9image264

Ralphie this is a hot callus pipe for hard to graft walnut trees . A soil warming cable is stapled inside the pipe insulation to the wood . Graft union is inserted crosswise . 75 to 80 degrees . Going to try this as my success on walnuts is miserable . I will have to find a picture with trees inserted . Too early for me to try it here .

Everybody is taking in the 45 degree weather. It jumped up above the forcast

Watched some interesting beekeeping videos this weekend. They say the Bee hives are built with too thin of wood. 3/4 inch and should be 2 by construction. Also kits with Italians are meant for southern climates. The other commercial variety is better but less calm. The guy on the videos is Russian decent. He recommends putting up swarm boxes and getting local strong feral strains. And then he recommends horizontal boxes for easy keeping ( less complex). His website is horizontal hives.com. Free plans for swarm boxes and the hives

Back
Top Bottom