Surviving Minnesota!

Loretta and Pearl went tonight. I bribed them with BOSS and cheese shreds and pitted cherries.

D1B6627C-5843-46F0-8681-01A07F4B3CB2.jpeg

B73FB455-5A9A-4711-A12C-6E74FB38FD03.jpeg

9FD69AAD-CE33-4E92-83A3-2418B169FCC9.jpeg

30A4573D-F568-45F0-BD83-0A45FCFE9AE3.jpeg
38EA5128-A0BA-42C8-B325-900C69F4EFE3.jpeg

The farm is adorable and they will apparently be serenaded by this adorable Bobwhite Quail. She has two renegade EEs that don’t want to go in and roost at night. ( must be the guinea thugs inside) any ways while chatting in the yard. The wayward girls walked by. Then shortly behind them was this bobwhite. I think he’s in love with bigger girls. His song was amazing. I’ll have to visit pearl and Loretta soon.

Used to see Bobwhite's along the road when I lived in Iowa. I have never seen one in Minnesota.

I have never seen a bobwhite, I read there is a very small population of them in Fillmore county, which really belongs more to Iowa than us.

But your post reminded me of the whippoorwill which I have not heard in years, but that might have more to do with my hearing than their numbers.

I had a male bobwhite show up in my yard a couple years ago. He ran around on the roof of my hog barn that my chickens are in one night, and I never heard from him again. I'm guessing he was an intentional or accidental release. I think they can be found in the wild in Winona/Houston/Fillmore area though so it's not impossible that he was wild. The male I had in my yard seemed not too wary of people though. I did raise some about 5 years ago and I really loved having them. The covey calls they did in the evening were so fun to listen to!

Morning . Back home from my trip north . Closed up for the year . Saw peak fall color . Then the rain and wind and cool days made a lot of leaves fall . Cool even here . Some fall color but will not peak for a week or two . My autumn blaze maples are in full color . So I get a rewind on fall color .

Back
Top Bottom