Surviving Minnesota!

Rainy day here . Hey how far north are redbud trees . I will include a pic of one not fully open blooms .
DSCN1042.JPG

Rainy day here . Hey how far north are redbud trees . I will include a pic of one not fully open blooms .View attachment 2609954
Jerry, as relates to Redbuds, they are hardy as far North as the Twin Cities I believe? I had them at my place when I lived in Iowa. If I could find one hardy this far North I would have had one long ago. I have never even seen one near the shore of the lake in Duluth or Superior, and that is approximately a hardiness zone above the hinterlands here.
Hope you are on the mend and soon back to normal!

You can often push zones to one zone colder . Due to the fact that weather will sometimes go colder on rare occasions . Zone 5 to -20 here but a couple of years ago we hit -27 . Most plants survived with little damage .

We have sunshine today and a dry week ahead . :wee

We have rain here this morning and a couple more days of it according to the forecast?
Central Iowa is zone 5 and I do miss the redbuds, cherry trees, shagbark hickory and Japanese maple. There may be a strain of hickory that is hardy here, but I have not found it.

We have rain here this morning and a couple more days of it according to the forecast?
Central Iowa is zone 5 and I do miss the redbuds, cherry trees, shagbark hickory and Japanese maple. There may be a strain of hickory that is hardy here, but I have not found it.
Now I have to look up Japanese Maple.

Is the butternut a hickory? We use to have a few around here, but I haven’t seen one in decades now.

We have some butternut by us, but I don't think many anymore. My mom remembers many more trees when she was younger. I'm almost as far south as you can go in MN.

Ralphie, I would suspect that you might find a Japanese Maple that is hardy in your zone there. The closest I can come up here is a Korean Maple which is nice but not in the same class as Japanese.

Back
Top Bottom