Surviving Minnesota!

Has anyone harvested hickory nuts? I found only six that the wildlife hadn't eaten yet - out of hundreds? At least. From one tree. Which is okay for this year because I mostly want to end up with some seedlings next spring to plant for mast as the first priority. But, someday maybe, it would be nice to harvest some for me too.

Has anyone harvested hickory nuts? I found only six that the wildlife hadn't eaten yet - out of hundreds? At least. From one tree. Which is okay for this year because I mostly want to end up with some seedlings next spring to plant for mast as the first priority. But, someday maybe, it would be nice to harvest some for me too.
As a kid yes . Squirrels beat me to them as an adult . A couple weeks ago squirrels were bringing some down into the driveway making a mess . In my area they can be ripe in late August into October . This late one is uncommon .

In for lunch . Doing another headboard for the cabin . Twin size bed . Using burr oak and will stain it cherry . 2 more boards to sand . Then pocket holes and finish . Very nice fall day .

It is too Sandy here.

My uncle had a butternut tree when we were kids. My Grandpa had a few black ones walnuts and he was 15 miles north of me.

He was in zone 3 whereas I am in zone 4.

He was on real black soil. But he could not grow a decent sand burr crop at all.

If I plant them this year would I have nuts next year?

I'm close enough to there too :old :oops: Still worth it if they are placed well. It feels good to do things like this for whoever comes after us on the land. And they are pretty. These are two of mine.

Attachments

• 5C175EF6-1C43-4900-9181-48983618E728.jpeg
    5C175EF6-1C43-4900-9181-48983618E728.jpeg
    420.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 257195EE-70DC-473C-8BE5-5E4DFD422774.jpeg
    257195EE-70DC-473C-8BE5-5E4DFD422774.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom