MsGloria

In the Brooder
May 10, 2022
My chick is 7 weeks old. Started making this strangled squawk yesterday. I thought chickens didn’t crow until 4-5 months? Is this my absolute confirmation this is a rooster? (I’ve suspected this one since they were 2 weeks old, but these are my first chicks, so didn’t want to jump to conclusions) Thanks for your help!

My chick is 7 weeks old. Started making this strangled squawk yesterday. I thought chickens didn’t crow until 4-5 months? Is this my absolute confirmation this is a rooster? (I’ve suspected this one since they were 2 weeks old, but these are my first chicks, so didn’t want to jump to conclusions) Thanks for your help!

The video is three seconds of no movement or sound. But the chick in the very front is male.

The video is three seconds of no movement or sound. But the chick in the very front is male.
Sorry the link didn't seem to work! I created a Flickr account just to upload this video, lol. Yeah, that is what I've been thinking. Is it because of their posture, comb, or coloration that you've determined they are male?

Sorry the link didn't seem to work! I created a Flickr account just to upload this video, lol. Yeah, that is what I've been thinking. Is it because of their posture, comb, or coloration that you've determined they are male?
The last two things.

I didn’t watch/listen but the really young crows sound like a funny squeak. I’ve had them crow as young as four weeks. Pullets do not make any noise other than that little cheeping as chicks until they are much closer to POL. If you hear something that remotely sounds like a crow, that is a male.

One of my roos sounds like a broken squeaky toy and the other has a super high pitched crow that cracks. They are both 7-8 weeks and started a few days ago.

Back
Top Bottom