Suspicious chicken sounds??

misadventure123

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2023
Hi, everyone. I'm new to chickens and have a flock of six hens--three barred rocks and three easter eggers, all approximately six months old. I've been meaning to introduce myself, and still probably will officially in the not too distant future, but one of my EE girls, Frida, has started sounding funny, as of today. Her vocalizations have gotten higher and quieter. She almost sounds like a metal whistle with something stuck in it. I'm worried she's got something stuck in her throat, though I suppose it also might be some respiratory issue.

Other than that, she seems absolutely fine. She's eating and acting affectionate.

After searching this site, I tried giving her bread soaked in olive oil and couldn't get her to take more than a crumb. I tried calling the nearest farm vet, and was told they don't do emergency visits for chickens.

For now we're going to wait until morning and see how she's doing. Any advice is welcome!

Can you record her making the sounds and upload the video to YouTube?

Can you record her making the sounds and upload the video to YouTube?
I will when I get home from work today. It's not so much the sounds themselves that worry me as it is the fact that they've changed all of a sudden and seem breathier.

She sounds quite normal to me. If a he’s eating and drinking with no issues, I wouldn’t worry. Her voice could just be changing a little. She certainly looks quite happy and healthy!

Back
Top Bottom