Sussex gender

Oct 2, 2021
Hey I've been hatching light sussex's for a little over 12months so I'm still only a newbie lol
But has anyone got experience with this breed?
In my second last hatch I hatched 5 chicks 3 were pullets 2 were roos, the pullets had noticeably dark blue eyes until this week 7 weeks they have lightened up.
The last hatch I did 3 weeks ago and hatched another 5. The genders are too be determined, however, from my limited experience I think 4 possibly 5/5 are roos and they all have light coloured eyes already at 3 weeks old is this actually a thing?
I will post pictures when I get a chance lol

I have never heard of that being a thing, and have never noticed it, but then I don't think I've ever look. So I dunno?
I'm going to have to take notice lol thanks for replying I have another batch due to hatch tomorrow, then our last batch is going on next week, before the heat of summer hits.
So annoying that you can hatch 10 chicks and only 2 turn out super nice (for the show pen) hopefully as we progress we will get more of the nicer ones.
We can now tell as soon as they've fluffed up if they are going to be good ish type by their size. The big ones seem to grow out the fastest and best And so far from 4 hatches the biggest chicks at hatch have all been pullets 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom