Swan Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by spectrumranch, Oct 21, 2009.

1. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Does anyone here raise Swan geese?

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Aren't swan geese, chinese geese?

3. smileysal

smileysal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
  4. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Swan Geese are a wild goose. They are the ancestors to the domestic Chinese and African geese. They look similar to a young african, but are smaller, not nearly as noisy and do not get the large knob on the forehead.

We lost our male this summer- so are considering selling our hen or finding a new male.

5. Chickies-duckies-etc

Chickies-duckies-etc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Kansas
    Have you tried zoos? I did a quick google search and seems like I saw something about some at a zoo. Didn;t click on that link to check further.

6. La Unica Farms

La Unica Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    backswamp NC
    You might try contacting some waterfowl clubs in North Carolina. I bought all my mandarins from a man named Brian Daughtery. He is a member of the NC Waterfowl Club. Last time I was at his place he had over 60 species of waterfowl. He had swan geese, he said he was one of the few in the country breeding them. From memory he also had Teals,Cuban Tree Ducks, Shovlers,2 types swans,NA wood ducks,Austrailian wood ducks,Mandarins(normal and white),Swan Geese,Calls,Bar headed geese and many more I cannot remember. He ships. I will PM you if I find his number

7. kawonu

kawonu Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    Western North Carolina
  8. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The swan goose genus and species is Anser cygnoides ("cygnoides" is Greek for "swan-like"). The domestic Chinese goose is the same genus and species as well, but has just been bred in captivity for a long enough period that it has more "domestic" traits such as the white colored form (which I think was created in domestic geese through selective breeding). Genetically, though, I believe it's identical to the wild form.

The "African" goose, if I recall properly, is a fertile hybrid between Anser cygnoides and the European goose, Anser anser. Same genus but different species, but can cross-breed without sterility (like a coyote and a wolf).

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by