Swedish Flower Hen Breeding

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
We have a young Blue Mottled Swedish Flower Hen pullet and a Black Barred Swedish Flower Hen cockerel and I was wondering if we hatched some of their eggs next Spring, what would the chicks look like?

Attachments

• FA36B78F-4086-4A75-B358-F7C022B0778E.jpeg
    FA36B78F-4086-4A75-B358-F7C022B0778E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 33
If theyre both pure for what you're describing and the barred caockerel carries two barring genes you'll get about a 50/50 split between black barred and blue barred.
If the cockerel only has one barring gene you'll get a 25/25/25/25 split of black barred, blue barred, black, blue.
If theyre carrying sight unseen genes all bets are off.

If theyre both pure for what you're describing and the barred caockerel carries two barring genes you'll get about a 50/50 split between black barred and blue barred.
If the cockerel only has one barring gene you'll get a 25/25/25/25 split of black barred, blue barred, black, blue.
If theyre carrying sight unseen genes all bets are off.
I obviously must have missed a lot of other parts to this conversation. I only have three SFH so that only leaves me two other hens that I can produce a possible probability for to give as an example anyway. I have a lighter black:gray snow leopard like feathering and the brown:yellow spotted leopard. I’m not schooled yet on the proper names for them. I’m learning though. I love this breed best of all.

Thanks guys! We'll hopefully get some chicks out of them next Spring. View attachment 2304153View attachment 2304154
Interestingly enough.. I've never seen a barred SFH (YET).. and that goes against the whole flower thing.. IMO, ditch that bird.

The whole idea is FLOWERS.. must be mottled, period or it isn't a flower and it surely ain't gonna do the breed any favors.. as far as I can tell.

Fun starter tool/toy to play with color outcomes. Does not account for leakage or hidden genes..
http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

According to the calculator and moonshiner.. you won't be breeding Flowers at all, but bars/cuckoo..

Maybe you can find another cock? :fl

Here to learn though! :pop

Good point. I had never seen a barred SFH either. I do prefer mottling over barred/cuckoo any day. Thanks for the insight. I will contact the seller and she if she has others.

Back
Top Bottom