Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Quote:
I thought mine seemed to be growing quicker than normal. They seem so big for only 3 weeks old. I have them on chick starter but I'm wondering if they're getting enough. I also treat them with meal worms or eggs once a day. I can really feel their keels when I pick them up and they never have full crops. Is this normal for this chicken? I'm thinking I need to get some crumbles. I tried to find unmedicated starter crumbles but I could only find mash.
hmm.png

Quote:
The GF website says 1-10-12 for the next shipping date.

I ordered back in September- six chicks. Was supposed to get the chicks in early October, then late October, then they said mid- November. It sounded like they were not able to hatch as many as they had expected. That sort of thing happens, I know. Just wondering if anyone was similarly situated and had heard any news.

Enjoying looking at everyone's pictures in the interim- a vicarious pleasure!
smile.png

Quote:
I ordered some in October when the website said November 16 for shipping.
I spoke to Jenny at GFF last week and she said that the SFH hens had really slowed down. She said that she had sent out an email saying that they would be a bit delayed (but I never got it), also that they were almost caught up on orders. She was super nice and helpful, and was happy to accommodate by changing my shipping date, address, order etc.
It may be that they got a crazy rush of orders when the price dropped.

Quote:
Well, I'm no expert
lol.png
but I THINK he is. I'm told you can't really tell until they're about 5 weeks but he's got some feathers doing their own thing up there!

I can't post pics because our computer is waiting for a part.
hmm.png
Otherwise I'd love to show how the birds are feathering out. The cockerel (okay, it's only 3 wks old, but I feel pretty confident that's it's a he) is so pretty with his dark grey, white chest, red starting to show up in flecks. The hen (again, not real sure of this) looks like she will be black with white flecks. I'm hoping she'll look like Daisyjacks pretty little hen.

Well here they are! All ten babies. Looks like I have 7 girls
fl.gif
and 3 boys (or a lot of late blooming boys.) They really blend in with the leaves. No two alike in the bunch!

90094_sfh7wks-copy.jpg

Last edited:
How fun! They're all so pretty and yes, all different.
love.gif

I'm over forty and my eyes are going so I'm afraid you'll have to point out the boys to me.
Are all the boys on the top row? I love the group photo. They really do blend into the leaves.

I'm even more excited now for the rest of mine to hatch out. Thanks for these wonderful pics!

Yes the boys are in the top row. (Being a photographer by trade, it takes very little prompting to get me to post more photos.
big_smile.png
) I was just afraid to post to many. Here are a few larger images of the boys:

90094_img_9301-copy.jpg

Sorry this one is a little out of focus, but i could really see the red in the comb on this one.
90094_img_9353-copy.jpg

This one is a little pinker in person, so I was thinking roo???
90094_img_9350-copy.jpg

Three crested flower hens all in a row.....(middle one is the roo.) He is also a deeper red color on the feathers.
90094_img_9320-copy.jpg

Thank you, Icatty! They are so worth the wait. Keep us posted on your ship date. I am so looking forward to more people on our thread getting chicks (and more photos of coarse.)
Knock Kneed Hen, thanks. When is your next hatch date?

I posted that I was worried about there size then while I was photographing I realized they are about same size as the chicks that hatched three weeks earlier than them (3 Lavender Orps. and 1 female SFH.) I guess I was a little premature is saying that.

Back
Top Bottom