1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by stoneunhenged, Jul 19, 2010.

1. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    if you want to move her, you're going to have to confine her until she knows where her nest is supposed to be...

my broody girls were both inside the doghouse at lunchtime, so i hope they went back to broody-ing. they get along well, so i'm also hoping they'll share broody duty

2. PugBug

PugBug Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    South Louisiana
    I don't have any yet, but mine are a little over 3 mo now, when they breed I'll post pics of the babies. All my SFH are crested, so should be interesting to see the babies. I plan to add a few non crested later on.

3. cathiesue

cathiesue Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Collinsville, OK
    Legs, oh my! My blue girl has gray legs. I have mature rooster who has yellow on the front with red on the backs of his legs. My red/white girl has very pale yellow legs.

4. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA

5. chiques chicks

chiques chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Question. Will a hen and rooster always throw the same color offspring?

6. Spifflove

Spifflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2012
    2nd installment safe and sound from Greenfire; excellent packing:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Frizzled Pink

Frizzled Pink Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    Kansas City area
    Experienced people correct me if I am wrong , but the red in the legs to my understanding is a sign that they are fertile and ready for breeding

8. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    that entirely depends on what genetics are behind the hen and rooster...

the answer is officially [​IMG]

if you get 2 or 3 the same color, then maybe. if you get 30 or 40 the same color, then yeah probably (but not guaranteed!)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  9. chiques chicks

chiques chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats what I was hoping!

10. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    (Okay....here she goes again...will this woman and "little black" ever go away, they say, as she posts still more photos... [​IMG])

Got little black (her?) into some good light and look at these colors in the feathers starting to sneak out: (These have become more prominent in the last 5 days and seem to continue to come out.)

(Orange anyone?)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice girl (but..................... those legs [​IMG])

Okay...I DID NOT WASH THESE FEET AND LEGS (Next time I take a photo of them when it is warmer and wash them first.)

(S)he has very yellow toenails and a bit of yellow undertones in the feet (and a bit in the leg). Not sure these photos will do a very good job of showing it.

[​IMG]

A bit of yellow undertone in the leg but not much ...yet...
    [​IMG]

In this photo everything seems to have a red cast. Not sure if it's the lighting in the room or not.
    [​IMG]

ETA: 10.5 Weeks Old.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by