Swedish Flower Hen Thread

one comment i'll disagree with... uncrested birds CAN NOT produce crested chicks... so something smells funny with that statement. also, if the splash girls are truly as white as they look in the pics, i'd want to see them in person to verify that they actually have SOME color on them...

my biggest reservation would be the 2 splash girls... but the others look pretty nice. the roo does have some side spurs at the back edge of his comb, but that seems to be a pretty common fault, for now, and can be culled in later generations.

wow you have good eyes!

here are some pics of my SFH chicks that I hatched from wildhorse annie (17 days old)
I do notice that they are "flowered" on the beaks too ...is that normal??

the 2 blues together

blue 1the darker 1

blue 2

brown 1

brown 2

all 4 with momma

Go look at them and also look for split wing and assess personality in the rooster. Many SFH roosters are very nice, but if you get a bad one, they are terrible (as both Bernie and I can attest). Not a bad way to get started at all.

here are some pics of my SFH chicks that I hatched from wildhorse annie (17 days old) I do notice that they are "flowered" on the beaks too ...is that normal?? the 2 blues together blue 1the darker 1 blue 2 brown 1 brown 2 all 4 with momma
My babies' beaks look very similar. My black ones actually have black beaks with yellow edges.

one comment i'll disagree with... uncrested birds CAN NOT produce crested chicks... so something smells funny with that statement.
That's what I thought and maybe crests in ducks are different, but someone just hatched a crested duck from my ducks' eggs. I haven't had a crested duck in several months.
hu.gif

ETA - Is it possible that the crest is so small that it doesn't appear to be a crest?

Last edited:
one comment i'll disagree with... uncrested birds CAN NOT produce crested chicks... so something smells funny with that statement. also, if the splash girls are truly as white as they look in the pics, i'd want to see them in person to verify that they actually have SOME color on them...

my biggest reservation would be the 2 splash girls... but the others look pretty nice. the roo does have some side spurs at the back edge of his comb, but that seems to be a pretty common fault, for now, and can be culled in later generations.
After reading your comment, I went back to look at the ad again. I had not read the ad, only looked at the 1st photo. And I agree, what's with the 2 called "splash"? They don't even look SFH to me, I would be leery of this! As for non crested producing crested- I really don't know about that part. I did read somewhere, can't remember where- that crested can produce non crested chicks. Since I just got my very first SFH egg today from my flock, I can't say either was correct from experience. The comment I made earlier about them looking like they might be a good start for a flock, it was based only on that photo of the 3 hens with the roo. They look nice, and yes the roo does have side spurs but as ki4got said it seems to be common with this breed. And speaking of that, I went out today and really took a good look at all mine and only 1 roo has side spurs. He's thankfully one that I had already taken out of the breeding pen- he & 1 other will be going to 'freezer island' soon.

Back
Top Bottom