Swedish Flower Hen Thread

My first hatch on SFH! These little babies are all less than 48 hrs. old. We will be keeping 2-3 of these, the rest will be going to a guy who lost several of his in the flash flooding earlier this month. I love the little blue, DH loves the little black. Just not sure quite which ones to keep. They are all eating and drinking well, seem very strong and are definitely LOUD, and mobile (hence the laundry basket pic, it was to only way to keep them somewhat still!). Not sure if any stand out, there is also a red/blue looking baby that I really like. I know they are very young, but if anything stands out good or bad straight away, I'd like to know.

Awww, how cute. Congrats!

My Helga looked like your red headed dark ones as a chick. We had a lavender down chick too --- lost her over the winter --- but here is her autumn picture.

And here's a full body shot of the same girl above who arrived as a black chick like yours.

well, i'm back down to 2 roos and 3 girls, but of course nobody's laying for me... instead of losing the last gunnar roo to a predator, he's now in the pen with the others. that's gonna go over like a fart in a diving bell. those 2 boys do NOT like each other much. but it's either that or let one get eaten...

in the last week I've also lost ANOTHER blrw pullet, my red dorking roo & several of my mille fleur cochin girls...

some days I wonder if I should just give up and sell the whole shebang.
barnie.gif

i have just hatched six SFH crossed chicks from various hens (australorp, cream legbar, silver pencilled rock, and basque), but none are bantam... can't wait to see what they end up looking like, though!

I too am experimenting. I have a SFH x Speckled Sussex, a SFH x Barred Rock, and 2 SFH x buff orpington eggs in the incubator. I am also experimenting with cream legbar crosses. I have 5 CLB x EEs and 12 CLB x RIR in the incubator as well. It will be interesting to see how they turn out.

My Main SFH roo, Harley, (a son of Gunnar) would easily provide me more cross opportunities with my red sex link layers and ameraucanas.

If anyone needs roos from Gunnar's, I have two available. The one below will be an MF Roo very similar to Gunnar and Harley. He is black-based.

This roo is Gunnar's son by a different hen. He is blue-based and will have golden hackles

Cheers!

Last edited:
well, i'm back down to 2 roos and 3 girls, but of course nobody's laying for me... instead of losing the last gunnar roo to a predator, he's now in the pen with the others. that's gonna go over like a fart in a diving bell. those 2 boys do NOT like each other much. but it's either that or let one get eaten...

in the last week I've also lost ANOTHER blrw pullet, my red dorking roo & several of my mille fleur cochin girls...

some days I wonder if I should just give up and sell the whole shebang.
barnie.gif
Oh yuk! This is SO frustrating I know.
Is there a pattern? do you know for sure what the predator is?

Back
Top Bottom