Swedish Flower Hen Thread

I don't want to post anything that is outside the rules however I am looking for SFH birds and I'm having difficulty finding a source of quality birds. I have ordered eggs in the past but I'm having some difficulty with my incubator so thought I would look for fall sale or flock reductions. Does anyone have any suggestions?
where are you located?

Quote: I had the same question... if you tell us where we are, we may be able to help.
Breeding season will begin here in Dec... not sure about other parts of the country.
I am breeding 2 different trios... one mille fleur based and one light trio with blue and/or red.
None of the 6 are crested... hope to have the new breeding pens finished this weekend.

Why don't people like the crest? I love my crested boy! Is it just personal taste, or is there a reason the non-crested seems preferred?

Why don't people like the crest? I love my crested boy! Is it just personal taste, or is there a reason the non-crested seems preferred?
I think it's personal preference... I like both. but I won't breed crested to crested, for the same reasons stated earlier, about huge crests developing... I have 1 crested pullet and 2 uncrested, plus one of the chicks (penguin) from kytinpusher's eggs appears to be growing a crest too... the other 2 I kept aren't crested, but also looking like cockerels. hard to tell at 3 weeks old, but their combs are more developed at this point.

just watch, the 2 uncrested will be pullets and the crested the roo. LOL hoping for a black/blue crested pullet to add to the group.

ok, good news! both Leigh and Marcia are 'grandmas' LOL

so far the count is 9 Marcia and 6 Leigh! we still have a good 8-10 eggs I think working on it, either internally pipped or further along.

of all things, my 1 EE hatched yesterday. a fuzzy footed blondie that came from a blue egg. she's half red bantam cochin judging from the color and amount of foot fuzz. and so far 1 of Kepiru's (mille fleur bantam cochin roo) first confirmed chicks is out too. 4-5 more to go.

Hello all! I know that sexing SFH has proved difficult for many - my two are now 20 weeks old and I am wondering, if one is a roo, will there be significant visual differences at this age? Tail? Comb? Wattles? Thx in advance.

Hello all! I know that sexing SFH has proved difficult for many - my two are now 20 weeks old and I am wondering, if one is a roo, will there be significant visual differences at this age? Tail? Comb? Wattles? Thx in advance.
pics? best way to guess from a distance. but roos would have developed wattles and comb more than pullets, as well as pointed hackle and saddle feathers.

pics?  best way to guess from a distance. but roos would have developed wattles and comb more than pullets, as well as pointed hackle and saddle feathers.

This is not the greatest photo (through the screen door), but the gray/white is the one I find more ambiguous - developed wattles and comb first but the multi SFH now has similarly sized comb and wattles. They're about the same size as well - not sure if Roos are supposed to be larger in SFH. Gray one doesn't seem to have feathering any different than the multi, but I am a total novice at this! If this isn't sufficient, I'll post another tomorrow morning when they're up and about again.

Last edited:
where are you located?

I live in north central Montana. I have decided to focus on forgotten and hardy varieties. I just had a miserable hatch from shipped eggs (not unexpected but a disappointment). Considering the time and expense of hatching, with risky return, I am thinking that just biting the bullet and getting birds may be my best option....

Back
Top Bottom