Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Can anyone help me out with my question? My SFH hatching eggs from my own stock will be fully developed in the egg and just won't hatch! All other eggs will hatch except theirs! Can anyone tell me why this is so?
I already said it... dry incubation. sfh seem especially sensitive to excess humidity. other breeds are more forgiving.

I agree with ki4got the dry method works best. I haven't done shipped eggs but I have had great hatches with my own eggs. I do know some of my customers have had early death because of keeping to high of a humidity. I'm not as anal about lockdown, a pull chicks as they fluff and just mist as I do.

I do use the dry incubation method and it still isn't working. Could the shells be to tough? These are from a young hen not even a year old I don't think.

Well my first SFH hatch is done. 3 SFH and 1 leghorn x lav Am out of 28 eggs. 10% + hatch rate...not my best numbers.But with shipped eggs I'm happy. I'll post pics when everyone is dry.

We have a new SFH chick & 2 more pipped.
Pictures to follow in the morning.
Trying to leave the incy alone!

wee.gif
celebrate.gif
yippiechickie.gif

well, don't tell the 'dorking' people, but I think the sfh have taken the lead on my heart...

I've been letting the juvenile boys free range during the day. so funny watching them stampede to me every time one sees me.

well, the wind has knocked the roof off the pens (thankfully no rain till later in the week). and it blew their door shut, so they couldn't go to bed on time...

I walked down to their door, talking to them as I went. opened their door and all 6 ran right in, turned around and looked at me, then jumped up to the house and went to bed...

NO other breed I've ever had would be that happy about being let back into their house.

Just thought I'd share this. The tiny egg at top came from my SFH pen today. The larger egg isn't even quite a "large". I would say it's more of a medium egg so that tells you how small the other is. Every once is a while I've had eggs like this from other breeds I have but this is my first SFH mini egg! I don't remember the reasons why these tiny eggs occasionally occur but they always amaze me!

Last edited:
Just thought I'd share this. The tiny egg at top came from my SFH pen today. The larger egg isn't even quite a "large". I would say it's more of a medium egg so that tells you how small the other is. Every once is a while I've had eggs like this from other breeds I have but this is my first SFH mini egg! I don't remember the reasons why these tiny eggs occasionally occur but they always amaze me!
I believe it is when they have just started laying or have just started back laying. I get these sometimes to from my older layers and younger layers.

Back
Top Bottom