Swedish Flower Hen Thread

I have always used baby chick quilts, after one day even if there were 6-8 birds in box maybe only one poo on the bed. I think because I would put bed under lamp they would sleep on the bed. then when they woke up they would eat away from the bed and poo there. this bed was there 2 hrs before pic. I think you can just see one dodo under the NN.

I have always used baby chick quilts, after one day even if there were 6-8 birds in box maybe only one poo on the bed. I think because I would put bed under lamp they would sleep on the bed. then when they woke up they would eat away from the bed and poo there. this bed was there 2 hrs before pic. I think you can just see one dodo under the NN.
I guess those are baby Turkens? They sure are cute as babies!

Hi everyone!!

New to to BYC. I currently have a Heinz 57 flock of 8 but next spring I want to add a couple Swedish Flowers. Starting to learn everything I can-the hardest seems to be finding local (or semi-local...or in the same state even) breeders. I'd love to find show quality birds, but we shall see.

So much information about the breed-thank you!!
unfortunately, the nature of the beast is that the SFH will never be an accepted breed by the sfh, because the colors are too variable. the APA requires each bird to be identical.

they are all very nice though and for those looking for ok egg layers with a lot of personality and color, they're perfect.

Quote: I think it's probably more common than you might think, if you consider the possiblilty of female/female or male/male gynandromorphs of breeds that are a single color. it's just more noticeable in male/female and mixed color birds/breeds.

Quote: the mottling is recessive, so most likely, your sfh/ee will look more like an ee than the sfh.

One of my handsome boys Rascal is he able to throw any blues? I would really like some but it's so hard to imagine that a bird this dark could do it!
If you have any blue-based girls, 50% of their offspring will be blue. If you have a homozygous blue girl, 100% will be blue.
big_smile.png

REMINDER: homozygous blue = splash

Quote: it's called dry incubation and works the best IMO. I've hatched a LOT of chicks over the years, never adding any water to the incubator, and only adding some to the hatcher to bring it up enough for the chicks to not dry out. my Dorkings hatch better with a lower humidity in the hatcher (30% or so) than the sfh that prefer closer to 50%. the cochins seem to be indifferent, usually hatching in the incubator before I get them moved over (I tend to forget hatch dates).

Last edited:
it's called dry incubation and works the best IMO. I've hatched a LOT of chicks over the years, never adding any water to the incubator, and only adding some to the hatcher to bring it up enough for the chicks to not dry out. my Dorkings hatch better with a lower humidity in the hatcher (30% or so) than the sfh that prefer closer to 50%. the cochins seem to be indifferent, usually hatching in the incubator before I get them moved over (I tend to forget hatch dates).
[/quote]

Yes I've read about it, but thought you should still bring humidity up at lockdown. I'm convinced I drowned 3 of my chicks during my last hatch. I'm running quail eggs with no water now and it's running right at 30%. But intended to increase to 60% at lockdown. Maybe I will try with no water also.

The 5 day olds conquered Brinsea Hill this morning!

MB
love.gif

What an interesting idea! I may have to test that theory sometime!

Here's my EE/SFH. A lady in Oklahoma has been breeding them. Some look more SFH than others.

And about this boy, is he blue based or splash based? I was certain splash but now Im not so sure!

What about this girl?

it's called dry incubation and works the best IMO. I've hatched a LOT of chicks over the years, never adding any water to the incubator, and only adding some to the hatcher to bring it up enough for the chicks to not dry out. my Dorkings hatch better with a lower humidity in the hatcher (30% or so) than the sfh that prefer closer to 50%. the cochins seem to be indifferent, usually hatching in the incubator before I get them moved over (I tend to forget hatch dates).

Yes I've read about it, but thought you should still bring humidity up at lockdown. I'm convinced I drowned 3 of my chicks during my last hatch. I'm running quail eggs with no water now and it's running right at 30%. But intended to increase to 60% at lockdown. Maybe I will try with no water also.
it depends on your local humidity... in the fall/winter/spring here, I have to add some moisture, but in the summer the existing humidity is usually enough for some breeds while others seem to like a bit more. most of my hatches in the summer have little or no added moisture. the Dorkings all hatched best without any extra at all (ambient in the hatcher about 20%), the sfh tended to get stuck with the same conditions while adding a bit to bring it up to about 50% worked best.

Back
Top Bottom