Swedish Flower Hen Thread

LOL yep that's me too! I'll definitely keep posting as they grow! I'm excited to see what they turn out like! Right now my two SFH's are my fav's. When we get home at night we take turns with all the babies, taking them out of their run/coop and feeding them meal worms or corn. The SFH's have that down pat! As soon as we set them on the bench they are looking for their treats and if I don't give them some right away they start hopping up on my lap and looking at me like "Hey Mom aren't you forgetting something!"
big_smile.png

I am completely new to chickens. I would never sell a purebred chicken that wasn't a true purebred. I had just seen on this thread that people were mating certain breeds to create a hybrid to produce certain desirable qualities from each breed and found it interesting. I believe it was a favorelles with a Swedish flower hen and was just curious. I found a seller in Michigan on this thread whom I will be purchasing my Swedish flower hens from and she has given me a lot of helpful information on the breed. But as I said, I am completely new to chickens and found a hobby that I truly enjoy-just trying to learn different breeds and find out what I like. Not to mention both my chickens that I loved and lost were "mutts". So that was my purpose for asking about cross breeding the 2-just to learn and see what others are doing. Right now I am really enjoying my Seramas-they were given to me as a gift by my 1st chickens veterinarian after a hawk got her and I am anxiously awaiting my first incubator hatch of 4 eggs!

I am completely new to chickens. I would never sell a purebred chicken that wasn't a true purebred. I had just seen on this thread that people were mating certain breeds to create a hybrid to produce certain desirable qualities from each breed and found it interesting. I believe it was a favorelles with a Swedish flower hen and was just curious. I found a seller in Michigan on this thread whom I will be purchasing my Swedish flower hens from and she has given me a lot of helpful information on the breed. But as I said, I am completely new to chickens and found a hobby that I truly enjoy-just trying to learn different breeds and find out what I like. Not to mention both my chickens that I loved and lost were "mutts". So that was my purpose for asking about cross breeding the 2-just to learn and see what others are doing. Right now I am really enjoying my Seramas-they were given to me as a gift by my 1st chickens veterinarian after a hawk got her and I am anxiously awaiting my first incubator hatch of 4 eggs!

melte unfortunately there are some that will sell just about anything. I have met the greatest people working with Swedish Flower Hens but you do need to be careful.

Good luck on your new purchase. You will love the flowers.

Hi, Mel

That's one of the fun parts of raising chickens. Choosing what breeds and experiencing for yourself what you like, don't like, their personalities. I can tell you that the SFH has it all. Each one is unique and changes daily and you just don't know what it'll really look like until 4+ months old. Also they keep you guessing on what sex they are for a long time. I just heard of someone who JUST learned that her 4-mo-old pullets are in fact both boys. This is not typical of the breed, but you just never know. But the best thing I've found with these chicks is how friendly and curious they are. They stand up for themselves, but are not aggressive. Have fun with your hobby.

I am looking at getting into Swedish Flower Hens as my 3rd breed to go with Legbar and Blue laced Red Wyandotte.

Is there anyone in Northern Indiana or Southern Michigan that is breeding and has eggs or birds for sale?

Also, I will be traveling from Northern to Southern Indiana (Elkhart to Evansville) to visit my brother so anyone in that area with them from the 8th to the 11th I have that flexibility.

Thanks for your time and please let me know if you have any.
thanks

I am looking at getting into Swedish Flower Hens as my 3rd breed to go with Legbar and Blue laced Red Wyandotte.  

Is there anyone in Northern Indiana or Southern Michigan that is breeding and has eggs or birds for sale?  

Also, I will be traveling from Northern to Southern Indiana (Elkhart to Evansville) to visit my brother so anyone in that area with them from the 8th to the 11th I have that flexibility.  

Thanks for your time and please let me know if you have any.
thanks

I'm in Delton, MI. North of Kalamazoo. I have hatching eggs and even have some chicks due on July 11. If interest, PM me.

Also have a young pair available. All my birds are UNcrested.

Last edited:
How aggressive are your roosters? Mine is just 4-5 months old and he is challenging me. He has not jumped on me but I pretty sure that is only because I don't go in the pen without a stick. He is gorgeous and I really want to keep him. I have not had much luck with roosters of any breed. I have 5 right now and there is not one that I would turn my back to.

For me, one of the biggest selling points for SFH was people-friendly roosters. But so far, I'm disappointed. My 1-year-old SFH rooster challenged me to the point he was ready to launch at me. I kicked him and he came back at me again like he was going to flog me. After being booted a second time he finally backed off. I now carry a stick which he seems to respect. I have another batch of SFH chicks now, and it looks like 4 are cockerels. I'm hoping 1 or 2 of them are friendly, so the 1-year-old rooster can be invited to dinner.

Ya, I am beginning to think "friendly rooster" is an urban legend. I have roosters that I can live with, but none that I would call friendly. Even my bantam cochin rooster, who is the best of bunch, would jump on me if I gave him the opportunity and he is a very good rooster with the hens and the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom