Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Got my three separate breeding/raising pens done about 30mins ago and they are all in the their own little sub division now.,..It's 12wX32l of 5ft tall wire it ain't the prettiest and I have some buttoning up to do but it'll do.

Oh an by the way I caught a big tom cat this morning but my wife made me let him go... Hopefully he doesn't come back.

Tom cats will breed more tom cats to come back to haunt your future flock. I never release but take them to the Humane Society or other appropriate organization. If the original owner is responsible s/he will check with local organizations to find their missing pet; otherwise releasing a stray becomes someone else's and eventually your own future problem. We have prowling ferals around the neighborhood -- since erecting a block wall and privacy fencing around the property it's cut down on frequent feral visits.

Got my three separate breeding/raising pens done about 30mins ago and they are all in the their own little sub division now.,..It's 12wX32l of 5ft tall wire it ain't the prettiest and I have some buttoning up to do but it'll do.

Oh an by the way I caught a big tom cat this morning but my wife made me let him go... Hopefully he doesn't come back.
How exciting to get your breeding pens done! I am not even close yet. Won't be breeding till spring, but time keeps flying. Every time I see a new "topic of the week" here on BYC, I can't believe another week has passed!

One of my SFH cockerels, born mid June, busted out into an egg song yesterday!
ep.gif
Does that dq him as a breeder?
hmm.png
Seriously though, it definitely is a boy. I think maybe he got startled. My older cockerel sounds like the beginning of the egg song when he gets close calls with with the dogs. (just them running past).

Mind you, we've only heard peeps from this crew except 1 of his brothers tried twice a funny squawk of a crow on different days

I know I just have to see what happens when he actually matures. Oh and so far he is expected to be my #2 breeder. Name is Bullseye, which of course he no longer has!
smile.png

Hi Lamancha!

I have heard this very same thing. I never keep crested Roo's either because I don't want the crested frequency to take over my flocks with all the chicks they sire, but I just saw some pictures of some crested roos on the FB SFH USA group, and they had sprigs too! I personally don't breed birds with sprigs, and we are all trying to understand how they pop up. I was able to identify three hens that were passing them on to their chicks even tho they themselves weren't sprigged girls. I did move them to a friends layer flock, and since have not had any pop up that I know of as I do sell hatching eggs and chicks.

MB

I guess next spring I will start separating the roos and hens into pairs and do a couple hatches from each pair. I'm not sure if it's a hen or roo, or maybe both that are passing the sprigs down. I have a couple crested cockrels now that still aren't showing any signs so we will see. I'm guessing there is a market out there for non-sprigged boys though. They seem hard to come by.

I love these birds!
love.gif
Yes it was me and my daughter.
big_smile.png
I think of you often, wondering about you helping choose my keepers sometimes. Or even if I ended up with any males of different colors you wanted for your program. Plus I've wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying them!

I have no problems with roos, we are going to eat the extras. My crested male is my fave!
hmm.png
Might have to keep him in my egg house or just separate out during breeding like you do. I was wanting to keep a crested female instead of male to keep the cresting to a minimum. And the one I got she is a pretty LITTLE thing.

I am not sure what snowleopard is. There is definitely a variety of colors going on and actually still coming in.

I didn't plan it or expect it, but sometimes things were meant to be. If it took getting ripped off by those jerks in Gold Beach when I was just wanting a rare breed, to meet you and consequently end up with an unexpected wonderful breed that I enjoy raising and looking at that is good dual purpose as well... then I would do it again. And your price was beyond reasonable! When I told my family you use your goats for hunting in the back country... My daughter said "wow, they are hard core!" It is a compliment. Wish we had the commitment to do that kind of stuff. I could tell you cared about what you are breeding.

Thanks again!
highfive.gif

I'm glad you are enjoying them. They are cool little birds. I am happy that you got both crested and uncrested chicks. Where are the pics??? Give a break-down of what you have (black based, blue based, crested, non-crested?)

Here's my little snowleopard boy. See how instead of the red/brown feathers, he has yellowish muted feathers? I'm excited because I've never hatched this color. I also finally got a blue based girl. That's exciting because now I can hatch splash chicks. Lots to look forward to. This breed never gets boring.

I'm glad you are enjoying them. They are cool little birds. I am happy that you got both crested and uncrested chicks. Where are the pics??? Give a break-down of what you have (black based, blue based, crested, non-crested?) Here's my little snowleopard boy. See how instead of the red/brown feathers, he has yellowish muted feathers? I'm excited because I've never hatched this color. I also finally got a blue based girl. That's exciting because now I can hatch splash chicks. Lots to look forward to. This breed never gets boring.
Congrats on your SL Lamancha I have a roo
I also have 4 SL hens here is my first SL hen but with each molt her feathers appear more red.
I have hatched 3 daughters from her. None from my roo so far but others who have purchased eggs have hatched quite a few. I call these 2 the twins as they are so similar.

@Lamancha I will have to work on getting some pics. Yes my SL boy looks like that but whiter base and he is an uncrested. Hope I end up with some blues in the future. I think that might be one of my favorite colors so far.

No sprigs on my crested male so far either.
fl.gif

I think they still have more color coming in as I noticed one of the dark red spots appear on someone this week. I can't wait to see the fully matured colors!
wee.gif

Somehow, your boy looks like he might be related to mine....
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom