Swedish Flower Hen Thread

My 7 month old hen is broody! I somehow got the impression sfh were not prone to broodiness. She's doing great, but I'm worried she's not eating or drinking enough.

My 7 month old hen is broody! I somehow got the impression sfh were not prone to broodiness. She's doing great, but I'm worried she's not eating or drinking enough.
Congratulations! I just had one of my dominique hens hatch out some SFH chicks for me. A good broody is worth her weight in gold! Put some regular chicken feed, some scratch, and some water near the nest but far enough out of reach that she'll have to get off the nest to access it. Eventually she'll get up to eat, drink and poo. I also give my broody hens scrambled eggs every couple of days, and they really seem to enjoy it. Eggs are a great source of vitamins, minerals, protein, and water during a period when the broody is physically stressed from consuming less food.

Last edited:
Congratulations!  I just had one of my dominique hens hatch out some SFH chicks for me.  A good broody is worth her weight in gold!  Put some regular chicken feed, some scratch, and some water near the nest but far enough out of reach that she'll have to get off the nest to access it.  Eventually she'll get up to eat, drink and poo.  I also give my broody hens scrambled eggs every couple of days, and they really seem to enjoy it.  Eggs are a great source of vitamins, minerals, protein, and water during a period when the broody is physically stressed from consuming less food.  

Thanks for the advice, I'll give her some scrambled eggs today. She does look a little thin.

I believe the statistics are about 20% of SFH's will go broody. In Sweden, to have a registered flock, chick must come from a broody. They are trying to keep them close to their landrace roots.

Good job pretty girl!

My Swedish flower is 3 weeks old. Hoping and praying she is a pullet because she is so pretty, if I do say so myself
1f60a.png

She is all white under her belly and she is getting a lot of bright white everywhere else. Is this a normal color pattern? And do you think she is blue based? Thanks all

I lost the little blue one early this morning.
2639.png

That's sad as it is, but I also ordered these mainly for the one rooster and now I am not sure I still have a rooster....
And I have to order three at a time and I can't fit more hens in my coop....
1f622.png

Back
Top Bottom