Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Looks like Ester has taken over and Sissy is no longer broody. Ester went back to the eggs last night and was there this morning. I guess the heat of the day did affect her "schedule". It's been about a week now since these eggs were laid so I think we have a couple more to go before potential hatching?

It's actually relative to when they started being sat on full time verses when they were laid. I would probably try to candle at about this time to see if there is any development. With it being your first time though, I might not discard them if I couldn't see the development. But it is an amazing sight to behold the eye forming and the heart beating. But I guess having young ones, you've probably recently experienced that!! :D

When my chicks were brand new I so wanted to know what they would look like as adults. I couldn't find much on it at all.
So, here are some before and after pictures:
At 3 days (the yellow one (pullet) and the brown one (cockerel) - the blue one on the right was stressed in transport and died the next day ☹️( ), two weeks and 15 1/2 weeks:
IMG_7046.JPG

IMG_7072.JPG
IMG_7355.JPG
IMG_7358.JPG

Sorry, the picture is a bit dark.
So the yellow one ended up millefleur with a goregeous soft orange tone and the little roo is a fascinating blue and red - can't wait to see how his colors will turn out once he matures.
Do you want to post your chick - juvenile or adult pictures so we can see more
examples? I would love that!

Last edited:
When my chicks were brand new I so wanted to know what they would look like as adults. I couldn't find much on it at all.
So, here are some before and after pictures:
At 3 days (the yellow one (pullet) and the brown one (cockerel) - the blue one on the right was stressed in transport and died the next day ☹️( ), two weeks and 15 1/2 weeks:View attachment 1087844
View attachment 1087829 View attachment 1087831 View attachment 1087835
Sorry, the picture is a bit dark.
So the yellow one ended up millefleur with a goregeous soft orange tone and the little roo is a fascinating blue and red - can't wait to see how his colors will turn out once he matures.
Do you want to post your chick - juvenile or adult pictures so we can see more
examples? I would love that!

So far, my blonde babies do end up millie fleur as well. My black ones have ended up being snow leopard. Wish I could remember the brown ones, those seem to be my favorite color in the chicks. :love

Interesting side note... in your pic (reddish pic #2) of the blonde and the brown one, does the brown one not show tail feathers and the blonde one is? Or am I just not seeing his tail feathers? The lack of tail feathers has ALWAYS been boys for me. So if that's the case, then this is a nice example! :pop

So far, my blonde babies do end up millie fleur as well. My black ones have ended up being snow leopard. Wish I could remember the brown ones, those seem to be my favorite color in the chicks. :love

Interesting side note... in your pic (reddish pic #2) of the blonde and the brown one, does the brown one not show tail feathers and the blonde one is? Or am I just not seeing his tail feathers? The lack of tail feathers has ALWAYS been boys for me. So if that's the case, then this is a nice example! :pop
Good observation and yes, you are absolutely correct, no tail feathers yet on the little roo. He is the blue-red cockerel in the last picture.

It's actually relative to when they started being sat on full time verses when they were laid. I would probably try to candle at about this time to see if there is any development. With it being your first time though, I might not discard them if I couldn't see the development. But it is an amazing sight to behold the eye forming and the heart beating. But I guess having young ones, you've probably recently experienced that!! :D
Yes I would like to candle them! Now of course I haven't been able to catch a time when she's off the eggs. I haven't seen any other eggs in the coop from the other girls the past few days. Not sure if it's normal for regular egg laying to drop off when one of the girls has gone broody?

Not sure if it's normal for regular egg laying to drop off when one of the girls has gone broody?

With our other breeds, whoever is broody no longer lays - and will not until chicks have been absorbed into the flock (about 6-8wks old). Often, the other hens will ONLY lay in the broody's box, so if I am not careful - I'll have a hen on 17+ eggs! LOL.

But with this summer's heat lately, the egg production is decreased...hens just cannot keep enough water in their systems to lay! For treats, I gave them grapes (cold) and the next day had a bounty of eggs. So today it's cold cantaloupe and tomorrow is cold watermelon...anything to keep the water levels up! Until the heatwave ceases...

With our other breeds, whoever is broody no longer lays - and will not until chicks have been absorbed into the flock (about 6-8wks old). Often, the other hens will ONLY lay in the broody's box, so if I am not careful - I'll have a hen on 17+ eggs! LOL.

But with this summer's heat lately, the egg production is decreased...hens just cannot keep enough water in their systems to lay! For treats, I gave them grapes (cold) and the next day had a bounty of eggs. So today it's cold cantaloupe and tomorrow is cold watermelon...anything to keep the water levels up! Until the heatwave ceases...

Hmm it's probably the heat then. I still have not seen our broody hen off the eggs and out for food/water but I imagine she must be getting up??
I finally got two eggs from another hen but one was already cracked and the other cracked while I was washing it. I do give them watermelon, strawberry tops, leafy greens etc. but I guess treats plus regular water isn't enough to battle the heat. Their regular food is egg layer pellets mixed with scratch grains. Occasional freeze dried meal worms. When I can manage I will hose down their run and shady areas so they have cool dirt too.

Hmm it's probably the heat then. I still have not seen our broody hen off the eggs and out for food/water but I imagine she must be getting up??
I finally got two eggs from another hen but one was already cracked and the other cracked while I was washing it. I do give them watermelon, strawberry tops, leafy greens etc. but I guess treats plus regular water isn't enough to battle the heat. Their regular food is egg layer pellets mixed with scratch grains. Occasional freeze dried meal worms. When I can manage I will hose down their run and shady areas so they have cool dirt too.

Scratch grains and other "treats" like watermelon and such can diminish your protein level too far, especially since layer is only 16% which is the minimum suggested for light breeds like leghorn... and maybe your calcium level if you don't offer OS on the side. Scratch grains is often 8%, depending on the ratio you are using... you can see where you might run into some issues including reduced laying and feather pecking. Heat does have some impact, and that may be it. But if it's seasonal then you shouldn't see a sudden drop in production. Hey, maybe a perfect time for you to try fermenting your feed... it will easily increase moisture uptake and not have to take in moisture to wet the feed. Plus the benefits are huge. The one that made me stick with it is the difference in how less offensive the poo smell was! :sick It doesn't really take too much extra effort once you get it figure out. Check the link in my signature for quick facts. If nothing else, and you truly think moisture is part of the issue, soak you feed and see if it helps. (I still remember you are busy)

Personally for breeding I feed 20% protein flock raiser with oyster shell on the side. It has been shown that higher protein feed (the amino acids there in) actually gives better hatch rates and viability to chicks. (can go find studies if you care to see them) Not knocking those who feed layer and hatch all day long. Too much OS, as in layer feed *can* (doesn't mean will) cause kidney issues long term in non layers like broody's, roosters, chicks, molting hens, or growing birds. Since I always have broody's, chicks, grow outs, and roosters... there is NO way I'm feeding separately.

That being said, my birds are free range and I have no control over what they eat. The 20% gives me a little wiggle room without worry. And most of my birds are heavy breed/dual purpose. It's enough for chicks without being too much for hens. It's a happy medium, not perfection. Scratch is candy bars and should be fed at a rate of no more than 10% of the total daily ration. Or better yet, avoided all together, it wasn't even cheap last time I looked at it. And people think they are doing their birds good when they feed lettuce and such, but it is high bulk low nutrient so in fact doing the exact opposite of what they intend. Yes I still do watermelon, cantaloupe, or whatever refreshing things... frozen peas are a great source of protein!!! People will freeze peas, corn, carrots, chunks of grapes or whatever in a larger hunk of ice that melts throughout the day as they peck down to it. Bonus, free enrichment for the birds and a refreshing, nutritious treat that goes farther while increasing hydration. :D

Sorry for going on and on! :oops: Nutrition is key for many things. :old

ETA: it is my understanding that heat can make for softer or brittle shells.

Scratch grains and other "treats" like watermelon and such can diminish your protein level too far, especially since layer is only 16% which is the minimum suggested for light breeds like leghorn... and maybe your calcium level if you don't offer OS on the side. Scratch grains is often 8%, depending on the ratio you are using... you can see where you might run into some issues including reduced laying and feather pecking. Heat does have some impact, and that may be it. But if it's seasonal then you shouldn't see a sudden drop in production. Hey, maybe a perfect time for you to try fermenting your feed... it will easily increase moisture uptake and not have to take in moisture to wet the feed. Plus the benefits are huge. The one that made me stick with it is the difference in how less offensive the poo smell was! :sick It doesn't really take too much extra effort once you get it figure out. Check the link in my signature for quick facts. If nothing else, and you truly think moisture is part of the issue, soak you feed and see if it helps. (I still remember you are busy)

Personally for breeding I feed 20% protein flock raiser with oyster shell on the side. It has been shown that higher protein feed (the amino acids there in) actually gives better hatch rates and viability to chicks. (can go find studies if you care to see them) Not knocking those who feed layer and hatch all day long. Too much OS, as in layer feed *can* (doesn't mean will) cause kidney issues long term in non layers like broody's, roosters, chicks, molting hens, or growing birds. Since I always have broody's, chicks, grow outs, and roosters... there is NO way I'm feeding separately.

That being said, my birds are free range and I have no control over what they eat. The 20% gives me a little wiggle room without worry. And most of my birds are heavy breed/dual purpose. It's enough for chicks without being too much for hens. It's a happy medium, not perfection. Scratch is candy bars and should be fed at a rate of no more than 10% of the total daily ration. Or better yet, avoided all together, it wasn't even cheap last time I looked at it. And people think they are doing their birds good when they feed lettuce and such, but it is high bulk low nutrient so in fact doing the exact opposite of what they intend. Yes I still do watermelon, cantaloupe, or whatever refreshing things... frozen peas are a great source of protein!!! People will freeze peas, corn, carrots, chunks of grapes or whatever in a larger hunk of ice that melts throughout the day as they peck down to it. Bonus, free enrichment for the birds and a refreshing, nutritious treat that goes farther while increasing hydration. :D

Sorry for going on and on! :oops: Nutrition is key for many things. :old

ETA: it is my understanding that heat can make for softer or brittle shells.

Thanks for all of the info! We've only had these guys for a year so it's been a learning curve. I might look into increasing their protein or just reducing the ratio of scratch as we do have everyone living and eating together. The greens that we give are extras from our greenhouse more as a treat. We have a big enclosed run for them but don't let them free range as much because of birds of prey in the area. Haven't lost anyone yet and don't want to!

Well it's a no go on our baby chicks. Candled all of them today and none are viable or even looked fertile to any extent (after almost 2 weeks of being sat on between the 2 hens). We do on occasion get a fertile egg so it was possible... but I guess it was more of a hormonal change for the chickens themselves as previously mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom