Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Can’t wait for her eggs! I just have little bantam eggs right now (which are super cute!). I caught her nosing around in the next box today so who knows! It still feels like summertime where I am so maybe she will start laying before fall weather hits?

Hey everyone- I’m a bit of a Genetics nerd and was wondering if anyone on here knows the history of the Swedish Flower hen??

Based on looks alone, I am guessing that it has a mix of European and Asiatic ancestors? Icelandic and Leghorns are examples of European ancestry breeds. Cochins and Orpingtons are heavy Asiatic-ancestry breeds. The Catalan del Prat and there are many breeds within the spectrum.

I searched research articles and there was really only one that did a genetic study involving Swedish breeds, including the Swedish Flower hen aka the Skansk Blommehona.

This is a chart showing admixture using different variables between the different breeds in the paper. Unfortunately they’re all Swedish breeds with obscure histories so it doesn’t help too much- but I’m guessing that Svarthona, or Swedish Black hen is mainly Asian (?) descended from an Ayam Cemani type ancestor?

any info on origins of any of these Swedish breeds might help clear this up. Sorry for my rant but wanted to figure this out. Lol

64649ABA-6AB7-435C-B873-FE008E793481.jpeg

k=2 to k=4 scenarios looking at admixture “color percentages “ seem to indicate that “skansk” (Swedish flower hens) are mixed ancestry if Hedemora represent European and Swedish black hen represent Asian origins.

I am having trouble locating Swedish Flower Hens in San Diego area. Due to the quarantine I cannot have them shipped. Does anyone know a place I could buy chicks or eggs?

I am having trouble locating Swedish Flower Hens in San Diego area. Due to the quarantine I cannot have them shipped. Does anyone know a place I could buy chicks or eggs?
I know a lady in Alpine that had some in March. I’m in SD as well!

I have just hatched my first SFH under my trusted broody. I got the eggs on eBay. Chicks are all sorts of colours and I am excited to see how they grow! Do the breed make good broodies themselves?
IMG_0166.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    607.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    679.6 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom