Swedish Flower Hen Thread

laie_14.gif
OK, KYTPusher, What's the answer??? I'm leaving for the day and I REALLY want the answer!! . . . . Patience? Yeah, NOT one of my virtues.

Well - until last week I didn't think I had any crested SFHs. Then this week Frida seemed to just suddenly sprout a crest!

Surprise!
idunno.gif

While I'm at it, I might as well post new pictures of all my babies...
big_smile.png

Gunnar

Gunnar and Inga (showing off her lacing)

Frida & Inga

New girls:

Ginger

Astrid & Ginger

Ellinor

Last edited:
I'm thinking of giving my swedes up. The rooster got in a fight with a full grown gander (goose) this morning. Anybody close interested in the 2 pair? I'll keep the little blue hen--my mom wants her. There is an orange pair with a very nice sized roo and a white pair. That roo is crazy good looking, but smaller. These guys hop over the wood fence in the sideyard and I'm afraid to clip their wings since we have hawks. I'm in Central Alabama just south of Bham. Make me an offer. Thanks! Kim

I wish you were closer.... :( Timing is all wrong for me. Really loving the speckled hen

OK - so back to this...

Let's not call it a SOP for now. I'd like to hear from everybody what *seems* to be this breed's general conformation. Certainly it's tail looks different from that of a Cochin and it's comb is different from that of a Silkie.

For my own purposes (and for others who may be interested) what is the basic conformation in these birds based on your own flocks??

Comb: (Rooster / Hen)
Wattles:
Beak:
Hackles:
Cape:
Breast:
Wings:
Saddle:
Tail:
(Rooster / Hen)
Thigh:
Shank:
Leg Color:
Feathering:
According to Greenfire farms the leg color should be yellow- although I have juvies from GF and the leg color ranges from yellow to grey

According to Greenfire farms the leg color should be yellow- although I have juvies from GF and the leg color ranges from yellow to grey

Interesting! As young chicks, mine had sort of light pinkish-tan legs. Now that they're almost 8 weeks old, they have gotten more yellow. Anyone else see this in their birds?

Note the change in leg color between the 2 pictures:

I have an importent question to ask you. How do you get in touch with breeders in swit. I tried and have no luck. I am an old man, land locked and do not get around very much but am very interested in sweedish chickens. paul.
http://www.kackel.se/index.html This is the swedish country chicken club. You will have to have a translator installed on your computer unless you are fluent in swedish.

Thank you! The orange speck hen is my favorite too. Here she is up close. Talk about your stink eye...
Actually they are all very friendly. I may just clip the wings on the big bad roo. Would the hens stay with him or "fly the coop" so to speak?

laie_14.gif
OK, KYTPusher, What's the answer??? I'm leaving for the day and I REALLY want the answer!! . . . . Patience? Yeah, NOT one of my virtues.
OK, now that I've had my nap after the midshift (I know, how rude of me
smack.gif
lau.gif
while you guys were waiting!) - the answer is Blossom and Maya are the BRxSFH mixes. The other 3 are pure SFH. Here is a picture of Peanut Butter's Dad (I'm 99% sure, anyway) at about the same age, and the way he looks today. (Peanut Butter in the middle)
900x900px-LL-7a437d77_Beatus021212t.jpeg
900x900px-LL-eb7b20ec_PeanutButter091612.jpeg
200x200px-ZC-cb440c33_Beatus052312.jpeg

The fact that it can be so hard to tell which ones are pure leads me to the conclusion that we DO need to develop some kind of a breed standard to protect them. As the saying goes - You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything. I am sure I could pass Blossom and Maya off as SFH if I wanted too (I don't) because I have seen pure SFH that look very similar at that age. Only time will tell if the difference will be more obvious when they get older. It will not be an easy task to develop as there are so many variations.

Back
Top Bottom