Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Well that is the fault of the post office not the seller. Everyone knows how the post office can be about packages. You take your chanches when you buy eggs and have them shipped. You hope they are packed good and arrive on time and not squished up. So far we have been lucky with our shipped eggs but our time will come I am sure if we get anymore eggs.

Why didn't your friend who saw the other carrier regulary leave chicks out on the loading dock in below freezing weather notify his superior? If he had of then the other carrier would be told to stop. He should have spoken up.

Yes, that was my point. It was totally the post office - not the labeling, packing or picking it up. The seller and the buyer can only do so much. This seller also told me that in his experience shipping here to the west coast is the worst. He had had several boxes of eggs destroyed and orders of chicks arrive dead to CA, OR and WA. He stated that, in his opinion, people out here on the coast don't seem to care as much about livestock. (His words.) My own carrier brought a box of well packed eggs marked fragile/eggs to my door spinning and tossing the box in the air. (2 of 7 hatched) A third box (from the first seller) I also picked up at the local post office. The employee brought it out swinging the box and smacked it down on one of it's sides on the counter. (4 of 14 hatched. The Overnight box that they lost was a replacement order for this one. The seller wanted to send a third one but I told him no.) It was clearly marked "This side up" as well as "Fragile" and "Hatching Eggs". I carefully laid it on it's bottom and pointed to the label. He (the employee) just shrugged. It's really frustrating.

My friend didn't have to speak up. Everyone knew what was going on - including the supervisor. That particular carrier is difficult and no one wanted to deal with him. They let him do as he wants which apparently includes neglecting animals.

Sounds like you have way better post office employees in Texas than we do. Be glad of that!

Yes, that was my point. It was totally the post office - not the labeling, packing or picking it up. The seller and the buyer can only do so much.

This seller also told me that in his experience shipping here to the west coast is the worst. He had had several boxes of eggs destroyed and orders of chicks arrive dead to CA, OR and WA. He stated that, in his opinion, people out here on the coast don't seem to care as much about livestock. (His words.)

I'd find someone alot closer to buy from then and if possible drive to their area and pick up the eggs or chicks. Have you a Craigs list in your area. Sometimes you can find what you want on there or else you can post a want ad for what you want.

My own carrier brought a box of well packed eggs marked fragile/eggs to my door spinning and tossing the box in the air. (2 of 7 hatched) A third box (from the first seller) I also picked up at the local post office. The employee brought it out swinging the box and smacked it down on one of it's sides on the counter. (4 of 14 hatched. The Overnight box that they lost was a replacement order for this one. The seller wanted to send a third one but I told him no.) It was clearly marked "This side up" as well as "Fragile" and "Hatching Eggs". I carefully laid it on it's bottom and pointed to the label. He (the employee) just shrugged. It's really frustrating.

Some people just don't care about doing their job correctly just do and get done for the day. Aother day another dollar.

My friend didn't have to speak up. Everyone knew what was going on - including the supervisor. That particular carrier is difficult and no one wanted to deal with him. They let him do as he wants which apparently includes neglecting animals.

Sad. They need a new change of command at that place.

Sounds like you have way better post office employees in Texas than we do. Be glad of that!

We have a little tiny post office 10 miles from us [in a little bitty town] that closes it doors from 12 to 1 everyday for lunch. Only 2 people work the desk and back and the others are all rural post carriers. They know you by name there when you come in. They get there at 5 am every morning and will call me at 530 am to let me know the eggs are here and if I come before it opens at 8 to come to the back and ring the bell to let me in. They are super nice people who work there. Guess living in the boonies has it advantages

Have a good week.

I'd find someone alot closer to buy from then and if possible drive to their area and pick up the eggs or chicks. Have you a Craigs list in your area. Sometimes you can find what you want on there or else you can post a want ad for what you want.
Yes, that would work if I hadn't wanted/gotten rare chickens that nobody within hours has.
smile.png
I do keep an eye on CraigsList and all I see are Wanted ads for my other breeds. My last chicks I had flown out from GFF and picked them up at the airport. The Delta employees are amazing!!

While we on the subject of shipping eggs. My eggs from Beth (BHep) were at the PO at 7:30 yesterday morning, BUTT I couldn't pick up due to going for a shot in my spine. Hopefully it is supposed to knock out the pain I get in my stump. When the meds wore off it was back with a vengeance<g>
Anyway I picked up the eggs about 1:00. Got to the house and opened the box. They was all packed in real nice in their little bubble wrap comforters. I take the out one at a time and unwrap it and place in an egg carton. All except the 10th one. IT didn't need to be unwrapped cause it done run out of it's wrapper.. There is no apparent damage to the box. The eggs were packed a good as could be. This egg was on outside of row with at least 3 inches of packing between the egg and side of box. Th package was marked "fragile eggs".
I lay it off as being one of them thinks. I'd be plum happy if half of them hatched.
I've let then settle down all night and will get them in the box before I go for Dr. appointment this AM.
It certainly nit the shippers fault and doesn't look like the fault of PO.
It just one of them things.
Big Jim

While we on the subject of shipping eggs. My eggs from Beth (BHep) were at the PO at 7:30 yesterday morning, BUTT I couldn't pick up due to going for a shot in my spine. Hopefully it is supposed to knock out the pain I get in my stump. When the meds wore off it was back with a vengeance<g>
Anyway I picked up the eggs about 1:00. Got to the house and opened the box. They was all packed in real nice in their little bubble wrap comforters. I take the out one at a time and unwrap it and place in an egg carton. All except the 10th one. IT didn't need to be unwrapped cause it done run out of it's wrapper.. There is no apparent damage to the box. The eggs were packed a good as could be. This egg was on outside of row with at least 3 inches of packing between the egg and side of box. Th package was marked "fragile eggs".
I lay it off as being one of them thinks. I'd be plum happy if half of them hatched.
I've let then settle down all night and will get them in the box before I go for Dr. appointment this AM.
It certainly nit the shippers fault and doesn't look like the fault of PO.
It just one of them things.
Big Jim

Big Jim - So glad the box arrived in a timely manner with only one escapee egg. If that one hatches, expect it to be the wildly independent chick and the coop instigator - LOL.
Keep us posted on how they do! I have 3 chicks from BHep eggs... they're the little buggers that got me hooked on this breed! Here's a shot of Gunnar from yesterday. He may be a cockerel, but he's a sweet guy!

Yes, that would work if I hadn't wanted/gotten rare chickens that nobody within hours has.
smile.png
I do keep an eye on CraigsList and all I see are Wanted ads for my other breeds. My last chicks I had flown out from GFF and picked them up at the airport. The Delta employees are amazing!!

Flown out from hatchery might be expensive but it might be the best way for you get them and not lose your hard earned money through the post office. Pay abit more but they "arrive alive".

Did you call Delta and give them a good report on how they took care of the chicks?

I am leary about getting live chicks as last month I got my husband 4 SFhen chicks from GGF and she sent me 9 in the box when I opened it and 3 were squashed and the other 2 extra's 1 died about an hr after I got them home and in brooder and the other chick died the next day. We did get our 4 ordered chicks which are hale and healthy as little pigs at the feed trough so we didn't lose money but I got kinda upset over seeing 5 dead chicks to get the 4 ordered.

I got the never again order live chicks delivered in the mail just hatching eggs...

I got some hatching eggs on Ebay for Delaware's and hatched them all out and have 3 roosters and 3 little pullets and then I read more about them as meat birds just slow to get meat on them than the broilers plus they are not as stupid as broilers tend to be so I thought Ok They will work for meat birds for me. We have plenty of unused land here for them to free range. So I know that Ideal Poultry is about 3 hrs from here and I called them and asked if people can pick up chicks and they said yes. So in Oct we will drive up there and pick them up. This way I know they will ALL " arrive alive" cause I am driving.

I wanted to get some Freedom Rangers but you have to order them from Pa and am leary about ordering them cause of the SFHen episode. Wish I could find someone raising them to get hatching eggs from.

Let my SFH babies free range for about 30 minutes today (supervised, of course!).

Well crud! Look at the FAT content in those little buggers!

My little crested pullet, Frida. She almost didn't make it as a chick, but she caught up and is now the same size as the rest of her hatch mates.

Inga and her "prize!"

Gunnar... on the lookout!

Ellinor... being very proper!

Back
Top Bottom