Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Quote: I asked the fed ex in our area and they said no. however, I do know someone who routinely ships through fed ex and just doesn't label anything about being "live". I have been meaning to ask her about it and will try to do so but when I specifically asked if i could send hatching eggs, they said no. our Post office is situated such that I cannot actually get anything to be shipped "overnight" including chicks which is a huge bummer so I have been exploring other options...it's just that there aren't ANY other options. Bummer!
Wow, that is a bummer!

Fed Ex used to ship live animals. I used to ship horses overseas, and we used FedEx. But that was 10 years ago.

It is too bad we can't find people who are closer to pick up eggs from. Some of you are close enough to me to think about doing a road trip, like all you folks in VA or PA. I used to drive from and to Blacksburg every weekend. But that doesn't help those who are out in the middle of nowhere. It just takes one bad day to wreck a shipment. I haven't had any boxes smashed, but I have had 3 lots of eggs not hatch at all.

well, i live near enough to blackburg, but don't have sfh... tho i could act as a go-between for bulldogma if hers ever start laying (and she doesn't want me hatching them all! LOL)

Fed Ex used to ship live animals. I used to ship horses overseas, and we used FedEx. But that was 10 years ago.
It is too bad we can't find people who are closer to pick up eggs from. Some of you are close enough to me to think about doing a road trip, like all you folks in VA or PA. I used to drive from and to Blacksburg every weekend. But that doesn't help those who are out in the middle of nowhere. It just takes one bad day to wreck a shipment. I haven't had any boxes smashed, but I have had 3 lots of eggs not hatch at all.

What ki4got said. Mine will be laying by early Spring and we can certainly work something out.

Finally got a nice rooster from a Lady. I gave her 4 Black Copper Marans Roosters for him. Actually she gave me the rooster and then I gave her the 4. I don't have to feed them now.

I posted a picture of my new roo on Facebook yesterday and this morning from one of my quick witted friends this showed up.

He also said: I can hear Big Jim saying, "here hold my cock and pullet while I look for eggs"
If I have offended anyone I am sorry. BUTT it is all in how you interpet<g>

Ha, I suspect I will have roosters to give folks for new blood in exchange for eggs. I kind of think my SFH may be roos after all. And of my Cochin bantams, all the buffs and two grayish ones are. I'm pretty sure I have 2 Silkie roos, but I can't be sure yet. Then of the local eggs, I think I got 4 at least. 13 roosters. At least. Oy vey. the kids are having kittens at the thought of eating any of them, but we can't have that many, nor do I really want crossbred eggs except to eat.

I'm going to try again with some of Carol's eggs. I usually use a dry hatch method as the article indicates in the learning center here, as humidity is around 50-70% in the environment, and inside the house, the humidity is around 50%. It has done well by my locals. I know everyone says the LG bator is too variable, but I have not noticed that after moving it to its current location in my home. It holds evenly and with a 1 degree fluctuation. I keep it at 99-100. Last hatch, it never moved off 100, and I even got duck eggs to hatch along side (although they were shrinkwrapped with the lower humidity for chickens and I had to help). RH holds nicely now that I figured out how to do that. Thoughts? I did get three in my first try, but none since. There must be something I'm missing, or shipping to the DC area really scrambles them. But they usually develop well and then die around lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom