Sweet peas

Sweet peas, the wild flower, are poisonous. Sweet peas, the shell or snap or snow peas that people plant in gardens to eat or can with sugar, are not poisonous. Evidently, different regions use the term differently than other regions.
Beat me to it lol.

I give mine sweet peas (green edible to human not the pretty flower kind).

The flowering kind that does not produce edible seeds is toxic I think.

https://wagwalking.com/condition/sweet-pea-poisoning

Edible english peas are the ones in the grocery stores.

Sweet peas, the wild flower, are poisonous. Sweet peas, the shell or snap or snow peas that people plant in gardens to eat or can with sugar, are not poisonous. Evidently, different regions use the term differently than other regions.
:goodpost:

and yes, given opportunity, the chickens will destroy it.

Thanks for all the shared experience (I don’t wish to “share” with my chickens!). I just built a 4x8 raised bed that I enclosed with poultry netting/chicken wire, put hardware cloth around other beds and welded wire around the blueberry patch. Maybe I should use same stuff in all the areas. 🙄. Again, I appreciate all the responses and will look for yet another different fencing type for the trellis!!! 🤔😉

I think the peas are safe for chickens, but not safe from chickens. My scratch has peas.

Garden peas =/= sweet peas.

I have never in my life ever heard someone call peas-the-vegetable "Sweet Peas". I have only ever heard that term used for the flower. :)

I have never in my life ever heard someone call peas-the-vegetable "Sweet Peas". I have only ever heard that term used for the flower. :)
I have been aware of the difference for as long as I can remember, since my mother grew both, but grocery store labels seem to include "sweet" when selling peas-the-vegetable.

My local grocery stores have both frozen peas and canned peas labeled "sweet peas."
Here is an example of a brand that I think is available all over the USA:
https://www.delmonte.com/products/vegetables/peas/sweet-peas

So I can see why some people, especially those who do not grow flowers, would think that "sweet peas" means the things they can eat. It's confusing and occasionally may be dangerous, but I don't think there's anything we can do except be very clear about the different any time the subject of safe-to-eat comes up.

I have seen that as marketing, but I've never actually heard anyone call them sweet peas when talking about them. :)

I grew up knowing "sweet peas" as the edible pea. I never even heard "English pea" until I was 35+.

My neighbor grew the flowers and they migrated tomy yard. Darn hard to kill and roots that go more than 2' deep! To me they are an invasive weed.

I will eat your snow peas 😃 my chickens are actively in the garden year round. When I go to plant I simply use either the mesh bird fencing (or orange construction fencing) and those plastic pickets/fence posts. Also garden staples. Those feather pigs will try to get under if it's interesting..only had it happen once though. Then I started securing the bottom of the fence by placing different stuff on the bottom. This year I have the staples.

Back
Top Bottom