Sweetest hen has what I thought was a prolapsed vent with severe scabbing. Gross pictures included

Thank you. I did not expect it to be so life consuming, I would not have been able to if I were currently working. She did prolapse again, bath to clean and with A&D she nearly fixed herself.
But she is still leaking.
Just keep up the good work and continue as you are.
Get the calcium into her to help with retention.

She may leak for a while; she's got some healing to do.

Color and tissue look nice and healthy to me!!

Hoping she's able to retain the prolapse. If not, then you know what to do. You've got this.
Nice job hanging in there with her.

She is doing really well. No more prolapses and no eggs (good- she needs to heal). She is eating and drinking well, and the leaking seems to have resolved. Yesterday afternoon was warm and breezy, so I took her with me down to the coop so I could clean it out. They do not remember her, and if they do because she’s been gone long enough, they think that she is stranger danger. But I did let them mingle mostly, only separate if someone was too Agro, gave them all treats so that they could get accustom to one another again. If one of the chickens or the rooster got aggressive, she would actually run to me, which was great.
I spent about two hours in the garden area, cleaning out the coop and refilling food and just tidying up and then brought her back up to house with me. I let her wander around in the yard, while I pulled down some of the Christmas stuff on the patio too, and then put her back in her crate since it was a big day.
Her feathers still seem greasy from the oil/coconut oil mix from baths. Would I need to bathe and wash her with Dawn, or let her tidy herself up?

She is doing really well. No more prolapses and no eggs (good- she needs to heal). She is eating and drinking well, and the leaking seems to have resolved. Yesterday afternoon was warm and breezy, so I took her with me down to the coop so I could clean it out. They do not remember her, and if they do because she’s been gone long enough, they think that she is stranger danger. But I did let them mingle mostly, only separate if someone was too Agro, gave them all treats so that they could get accustom to one another again. If one of the chickens or the rooster got aggressive, she would actually run to me, which was great.
I spent about two hours in the garden area, cleaning out the coop and refilling food and just tidying up and then brought her back up to house with me. I let her wander around in the yard, while I pulled down some of the Christmas stuff on the patio too, and then put her back in her crate since it was a big day.
Her feathers still seem greasy from the oil/coconut oil mix from baths. Would I need to bathe and wash her with Dawn, or let her tidy herself up?
You probably need to start reintroducing her into the flock be using the see no touch method.
As for her feathers let her deal with them herself. She'll be fine. :)

You probably need to start reintroducing her into the flock be using the see no touch method.
As for her feathers let her deal with them herself. She'll be fine. :)
Good suggestions @Tookie :)

I'm glad she the prolapse is staying in and she's on the mend. It's good to hear she was able to go outside with you for a while. Re-introducing her may be a challenge, but it sounds like you will get that worked out too.

Seeing this post just made my night. I am.day 3 of dealing with this and was lost. Hope my girl has a happy ending like yours. Thank you!!!

Attachments

• 20230325_120110.jpg
    20230325_120110.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230323_184431.jpg
    20230323_184431.jpg
    459.1 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom