Swelled pads on Polish pullet. Early Bumble?

OffBeatBetty

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 28, 2013
Hello! I have recently acquired a new Polish pullet (9 weeks old). I was really looking her over last night and the pads of her feet seem swelled a bit... but she is my first and only Polish so I don't have a lot of basis for comparison (my other chickens all have 5 toes and much different looking feet). Her feet were mostly just caked in dirt/feces because I don't think she was allowed to free-range at her previous home. I soaked her feet in warm water/ Epsom salt for about 10 minutes and cleaned them off as best as I could. There is still some staining, but I didn't see any black scabs or anything that would point to Bumble foot. What could this be? I dried her off and added some antibacterial spray and have her in a clean, dry place now. She is not limping or anything. Any ideas? Is this okay? Or does it look like the start of bumble? Thanks in advance!

Anyone?
idunno.gif
If it's bumble foot, I want to catch it early! Thank you!!!!

It could be bumble, but doesn't really look like the other cases I've seen on here. It may also be the product of an unclean living environment. If the area she was living in was wet and dirty (which it sounds like it was from the description of her feet) that could have caused sores. The antibacterial spray was a good call. All I can really recommend is to keep an eye on it. If it starts to look crusty/scabby its most likely bumble. In which case, you'll have to go digging. Sorry I couldn't be more help :/

Thank you for your opinions! I agree that it doesn't look like the other images I've found on BYC... but I wasn't sure if that was because those were all more advanced cases. Been looking for any other common foot issues with chickens and couldn't find any that matched. They're really not too swelled... just enough that I noticed they looked different than all of my other chickens but they are all 5 toed (faverolles and silkies) and didn't know if the pads on 4-toed chickens ever looked more puffed-up. Hopefully keeping her clean and dry will be enough!

Back
Top Bottom