Swellings Around Eyes

Letty1

Chirping
Jun 24, 2022
Today I noticed a strange swelling around my hen's (Hattie's) eye. Does anyone have an idea of what this is and what could be causing it? This happened to another one of my hens a while ago as well, so I'll post pictures of both of their eye area swellings.

Here's Hattie, her right eye is the one with swelling, while her left eye's (which appears normal) photo is posted below for comparison.
1688690917841.png

1688691176901.png

And here are the other hen's (Kentucky's) pictures; the top one being the swollen one, and the bottom one the more normal looking one.
1688691458593.png

1688691522377.png

Today I noticed a strange swelling around my hen's (Hattie's) eye. Does anyone have an idea of what this is and what could be causing it? This happened to another one of my hens a while ago as well, so I'll post pictures of both of their eye area swellings.

Here's Hattie, her right eye is the one with swelling, while her left eye's (which appears normal) photo is posted below for comparison.
View attachment 3568527
View attachment 3568528
And here are the other hen's (Kentucky's) pictures; the top one being the swollen one, and the bottom one the more normal looking one.
View attachment 3568533
View attachment 3568534
Hattie has quite a lot of fresh scabs from pecking on her comb, looks like she may have a small scab near the swollen one.
Try flushing the eye with saline and applying ointment like Terramycin in the eye for several days, see if this helps.

It can be a symptom of MG, a chronic respiratory disease. Tylosin powder for the water fo 3-5 days is a treatment, but the MG organism will be with them for life.
Here is some reading:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/2022-04/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
Hattie has quite a lot of fresh scabs from pecking on her comb, looks like she may have a small scab near the swollen one.
Try flushing the eye with saline and applying ointment like Terramycin in the eye for several days, see if this helps.
Thanks for the advice and information! This morning I discovered yet another hen with eye area swelling! I'm going to try treating them with some respiratory VetRx first, then possibly some herbs like thyme, oregano, and basil. If the symptoms don't start clearing up I might give them some Tylosin powder. If they really do have MG that'd be too bad because it's chronic...🙁 Any thoughts they could simply have allergies or something?

Good news, I checked on the hens' eyes today, and the swellings appear to have lessened, so hopefully whatever was going on with them is going away or is gone. :)

That is good they are improved. Did the second hen also look she had pecks on her comb or face? Tylosin usually has to be ordered online and can take a week or so to arrive. It might be good to have around if it is a chronic respiratory disease. Here is where I have found it:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Thanks for the link! It would probably be a good idea to buy some Tylosin powder just in case something like this happens again. I gave both of the hens some VetRx which is for respiratory uses, and then I gave them some thyme. Since then, they look pretty good! I don't remember seeing any obvious pecks on the second hen's comb or face, but it is very possible that the swellings were caused from that.

Back
Top Bottom