Swimming in eggs, can't find customers! Update, pg. 6

PaulaJoAnne

Songster
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
We are getting on average, 20 eggs per day, but in the last few months, a few others have started selling eggs, and seriously undercutting the price.
We have to sell eggs for $4 per dozen, just to make cost, but all these "new sellers" are charging $2!!!
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
barnie.gif

Its seriously hurting our dairy farmers egg sales as well.
They were selling out of 200 plus eggs per day, until these people started posting their egg sales online.
Its wrong on so many levels. Do they even know that they are actually paying people to eat their eggs?

Last edited:
target town people they love fresh eggs my husband takes orders at work and they are always begging for more and also my friend owns a store on the border of town they sell feed , mulch and knick knacks so she takes orders there. maybe ask some local stores that are on border of town. good luck

I charge $2.00 a doz...
hide.gif

I dont think people would pay $4.00 here
and honestly i rarely sell any...only if i have alot extra...or i give them free to my neighbors..

Last edited:
hu.gif
How is it wrong? Unwise, maybe, but in a free market you can sell for whatever price you wish. Where do you live? Most folks here report getting about $2 a dozen on average. I think it's difficult to make a profit selling eggs from your backyard flock, you really need to have a devoted customer base or produce in larger quantities.

Perhaps you can contact your previous customers & see how you can get their business back. Maybe you can offer something extra, free delivery once a week, an informative newsletter, recipes, loyalty reward programs, etc.

Its the city people that are doing it!!
We live in Alaska, so things are a bit different up here.....

Quote:
Same here actually. People here would be eggless before they would pay $4. Maybe the market is a lot different there, but that's why I hatch most instead of selling.

Quote:
No profit here. We live in Alaska, so we are just paying for food.
And I mean "wrong" in a silly way.

Quote:
Same here actually. People here would be eggless before they would pay $4. Maybe the market is a lot different there, but that's why I hatch most instead of selling.

We are going to start hatching and selling fertile eggs as soon as spring arrives.
Hatching chicks in below zero weather is not a good idea up here.

Back
Top Bottom