Update! I have successfully rehomed my 3 RIRx - although I finally established it was only one bird being utterly vicious.

I also got another coop smaller than my original one but as big as I could fit. I have added 2 new polish to this smaller coop, and my uninjured legbar and a Wyandotte remain in the original coop. I will probably transition them into the main coop in about a fortnight when the injured bird and her other polish companion can return outside and they will then be isolated there for another couple weeks.

End goal I will essentially build s larger enclos entirely around the two and leave the run doors open so they can utilise the whole space but I have an isolation coop if I need it.

Next dilemma - my injured legbar is in a dog crate in my house along with a polish. She’s giving the polish a bit of a stressful time (no blood but constant chasing and pecking) and I’m sure this is because the space is tiny but the vet didn’t want her to be alone if possible. I’m considering putting her in with the new polish tonight once they go to sleep. I can’t seem to find any evidence of polish ever being nasty so I feel like this may be the less stressful outcome for her. Thoughts?

Have added some snaps of the new coop, newbies and my two indoor visitors.

Attachments

• 7787D0F0-AE60-42DE-809C-E109101C1959.jpeg
    7787D0F0-AE60-42DE-809C-E109101C1959.jpeg
    416.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 33D6EA79-FBFF-469F-9006-74B9D594C5D2.jpeg
    33D6EA79-FBFF-469F-9006-74B9D594C5D2.jpeg
    535.6 KB · Views: 4
  • E812D2E3-9C52-432F-8427-3EDFA6DC4DB8.jpeg
    E812D2E3-9C52-432F-8427-3EDFA6DC4DB8.jpeg
    1,011 KB · Views: 4
  • B04551F2-D4D8-47ED-B2D0-4EE91D6F8AF1.jpeg
    B04551F2-D4D8-47ED-B2D0-4EE91D6F8AF1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Get them all outside. Cramping them together will make the nicest birds irritable. I think you are killing them with kindness, but chickens HATE CHANGE. It upsets them terrible, and they get panicky and mean. Too small of areas cause a lot of problems. Strange birds to each other cause a lot of problems. Even the nicest chicken will be mean or become a victim if you stress them enough. By switching them up, by keeping them in a dog crate, your are multiplying the problems.

If the injured leg bird is harassing the polish, she is active enough to be outside. Leave them together in a much bigger space as in the coop outside. They will be much more healthy, and cleaner, and will settle down if you do this and then let them work it out. Every time you mix them, separate them, rearrange them you are starting over and magnifying the stress on the birds, which translate into more violence.

A very good chicken poster on here, says let them be chickens, and let them alone.

Mrs K

Get them all outside. Cramping them together will make the nicest birds irritable. I think you are killing them with kindness, but chickens HATE CHANGE. It upsets them terrible, and they get panicky and mean. Too small of areas cause a lot of problems. Strange birds to each other cause a lot of problems. Even the nicest chicken will be mean or become a victim if you stress them enough. By switching them up, by keeping them in a dog crate, your are multiplying the problems.

If the injured leg bird is harassing the polish, she is active enough to be outside. Leave them together in a much bigger space as in the coop outside. They will be much more healthy, and cleaner, and will settle down if you do this and then let them work it out. Every time you mix them, separate them, rearrange them you are starting over and magnifying the stress on the birds, which translate into more violence.

A very good chicken poster on here, says let them be chickens, and let them alone.

Mrs K
Honestly if I could get the injured one outside I could. I live in Australia - it’s hot and we have a lot of flies. Given the size of her wound if I put her out she will be eaten by maggots. I also have to medicate her and clean and apply medicated cream to the wound twice daily. Until that process is over it’s really not practical for me to even move the crate out.

I am full of regret about adding the polish chicken with her as per the vets instructions to stop loneliness, as I think it’s been the wrong thing for both of them but as you say I’m now stuck having made too many changes and knowing that every change is another stressor.

I’d like to stabilise the flock so I can stop creating disharmony but I’m stuck with the situation I’m in for at least another fortnight.

Back
Top Bottom