Switching From Medicated to Non-Medicated Starter/Grower?

Patinas

Songster
Mar 22, 2017
Washington
I've been feeding my chicks medicated starter/grower from day one. They range in age from 5 to 8 weeks old.

They're all healthy and thriving but I have seen posts on here where people stop feeding medicated starter/grower.

My question is....is there a best practice? Can I give them the medicated up until I switch them over to layer feed? Is there a benefit to stop feeding the medicated and start giving them the non-medicated starter/grower? Are they still highly susceptible to cocci?

You're going to get answers both ways. Some people are die hard for, some against...

Personally, when I have chicks, I buy a 50lb bag of medicated starter and feed them that until it's gone and then switch them over to a non-medicated "flock raiser". Obviously, your mileage may vary depending on the number of chicks you're growing. It won't hurt them to stay on the medicated feed for a shorter period of time, but it won't hurt to keep them on it longer. I don't know that I'd keep them on medicated feed until they go to layer feed - that's a long time. If your birds are in the 5-8 week range, I'd swap them out next time you need feed to a grower, all-flock, etc.

I've got 5 chicks that are 8-10 weeks old and 3 one year old hens that have been eating medicated starter. I was told today that I should not eat eggs from hens on the medicated feed so I switched them to a layer specific feed today. My question is-how long should I throw out eggs from when they switched feed

Which medicated feed were you using? Most likely it contains amprolium. There isnt an egg withdrawal period using amprolium. I would, however, check your feed bag to be certain that is the ingredient.

You're going to get answers both ways. Some people are die hard for, some against...

Personally, when I have chicks, I buy a 50lb bag of medicated starter and feed them that until it's gone and then switch them over to a non-medicated "flock raiser". Obviously, your mileage may vary depending on the number of chicks you're growing. It won't hurt them to stay on the medicated feed for a shorter period of time, but it won't hurt to keep them on it longer. I don't know that I'd keep them on medicated feed until they go to layer feed - that's a long time. If your birds are in the 5-8 week range, I'd swap them out next time you need feed to a grower, all-flock, etc.

Thanks for the reply 0wen. I guess I'll finish up the medicated and then switch them to the non. They will be 3-4 months old by then.

Back
Top Bottom