Switching to layer feed?

Sclark0012

Songster
Dec 14, 2020
I have 5 pullets turning 18 weeks next week and have not laid their first egg yet. (I have 6, but 1 little lady has been laying for 4 days now.) I have 3 golden comets and 3 rhode island reds. When should you start the transition to layer feed? At 18 weeks or when they lay their first egg?

I would put out a container of Oyster Shells now. I keep my Pullets in a separate coop from the Hens and offer Oyster Shells separately at 15 weeks old.
20210201_142525_resized_kindlephoto-5349997.jpg

I would start feeding layer feed when 1 of each breed/type are laying.
Myself I would mix Layer feed with Starter-Grower feed 50/50 till the Starter-Grower is gone assuming Oyster Shells are available.
20210327_054304_resized.jpg

GC

Never.

I'm in the All Flock/Flock Raiser plus Free Choice Oyster Shell camp - but I raise (see signature, below) a flock of mixed breeds, genders, and ages.

"Layer Feed" gets you a high calcium feed adequate for average commercial layers with the minimum protein needed to support their typical needs, at a minimum of cost. If you plan to raise just layers, in groups, maintain them on layer till their first molt, then start over - ala high yield commercial management practices, layer is the cheapest way to do it.

I can't take the excess calcium because of my flock composition, but even if I could, the low protein in layer doesn't well support weight gain on any of my dual purpose birds, doesn't help my ducks bulk up (though too much protein can ALSO be bad for them), and isn't expected to help my birds speed thru their first molt. Since I currently plan to keep much of my flock more than a year, that's a consideration for me. Costs an extra $2 per bag, or about $130 year at current consumption.

Really though, it comes down to your flock, your time commitment, and your plans for your flock. Layer isn't good for Roos. Its not good for birds not yet mature. Its not at all helpful during molt. Its not good for weight gain on dual purpose birds. But if none of those are considerations for you, its convenient and cheap.

Nice! Freshness isn’t an issue for you and your supplier I take it?
Presently I am ordering from Chewy. I have one feed store that carries Kalmbach, but don't know if I can get this. I know it would be a lot cheaper. The dates have been 3-4 weeks, which is Ok with me. I ordered it once when I wasn't going anywhere & they loved it. I then fell back to Nutrena All Flock & Feather Fixer, curbside pick-up at TSC. I prefer the layer (FF) & when you calculate the price at TSC from 40 to the Kalmbach 50, I am paying $2.50 more for the Kalmbach. When the Cases of COVID go down again around here, I will be contacting the store to see if I can get it. I am sure it will be much cheaper. Worse case scenario I will buy the Kalmbach Flock Maker from the store & mix a bag of Full Plume from Chewy. I just love the mini pellets & Kalmbach. Just wish I was not living in a Purina dominated area!

Back
Top Bottom