swollen breast but not her crop

agodlyhomemaker

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
maybe i sound dumb but i am new to this. my rhode island red hen , aged, 8 months, chest is swollen, hanging almost to the ground!! her comb is paler and shriveled up. i have been missing 1 egg a day for 4 days - i usually get 7 but it's been 5 or 6 now- and i don't know who lays and who doesn't since they all share a pen and lay wherever .- and someone told me her comb and the missing egg means she is getting ready for winter. ok but now her chest?! and she is the only one doing this.
she seems to be eating just fine, drinks well as far as i can tell, still likes her food scrap treats, will stay with the flock for the most part but will go off and sit by herself too. no panting, no fluids released anywhere except once when i tried to massage her chest while cradling her in my lap she spit up some. no diarrhea . doesn't act sick. just a huge swollen chest. it's not just the right side either, it's the whole thing. this just started today or yesterday evening. thank you for any help.

I would think either sour crop or a breast sore. Pictures would help if you have them. I'm sorry I can't offer more help; I'm pretty new at this myself.

Back
Top Bottom