Swollen bum

weirdtalon

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
Went out to feed my girls this morning and one of my girls I got from the auction looked like her bum was swollen, red, and feathers around it looked icky. Anyone know what that's all about?
I got her and her sisters from an auction and they were banged up pretty bad. Missing feathers, skinny, and act like they have never been allowed to forage. I am giving them layer feed, a little game bird feed (heard it Will help bulk them back up), oyster shell, and yesterday gave them DE dust and a bit of poultry probiotics in their water. They also get to free range all day and I give them tidbits from our leftover veggies. Anything else I can do to help them? I love my birds and want them to be healthy and happy.

It looks like her vent area was pecked by the other chickens. This can lead to cannibalism. Make sure they have plenty of room, continue the higher protein feed for awhile or switch to layer feed mixed half with the gamebird starter. Let them out to free range as much as possible to cut down boredom and pecking. Nustock cream or Blukote spray to the pecked areas may help prevent pecking until the feathers come in.

It looks like her vent area was pecked by the other chickens. This can lead to cannibalism. Make sure they have plenty of room, continue the higher protein feed for awhile or switch to layer feed mixed half with the gamebird starter. Let them out to free range as much as possible to cut down boredom and pecking. Nustock cream or Blukote spray to the pecked areas may help prevent pecking until the feathers come in.

Thank you! I will check my local places and see what I can find. They free range all day until sundown, but I think I can improve the coop to make it better.

Back
Top Bottom