rascal66

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 10, 2015
Washington
I just picked up a whole bunch of chickens the other day. I noticed we got a Leghorn in this batch! But I noticed that the comb was a lot thicker than what I'm used to seeing.

20190712_172445.jpg
20190712_172440.jpg
20190712_172437.jpg

She is laying and acting fine. No other obvious signs of illness otherwise. Is it just me? Or is it swollen?

Thoughts?

It is probably just because her comb is so large that it appears thicker. As long as she is healthy, acting normal, and eating well, there is no problem. Diseases that cause swollen combs are avian influenza and coryza, but you would see very sick chickens will that. Occasionally an insect or tick bite might cause swelling of a comb or wattles.

Is it just me? Or is it swollen?
I see what you are asking about!

I had one splash Marans hen that seemed to have a fat comb like that. At first I thought it was swollen from my head hen getting her. But it never changed. She was a hatchery chick and had zero signs of illness ever despite being late to mature.

I was always a little concerned since it hasn't been common despite how many birds I have raised. No reports of issue from her new home... so maybe it's a genetic anomaly?? :confused:

Leghorn, especially the white... are such funny looking birds. :love

Then I am relieved!!! Haha. Today I'm going to examine her further. I noticed the flock came with lice, so I'm glad I didn't integrate them into the main flock yet. I'll dust her and maybe do any trimmings and send her on her way. :) Thanks for the tips and advice!

Back
Top Bottom