May 29, 2019
My 5 y/o BO has a swollen ear that I inly noticed today. I don't see any wound or site where there might be a core infection, but it's swollen for sure. No other symptoms (no drainage, energetic, eating, drinking, etc.). Should I get her on abx? Wait and see?

It was really hard for me to get a picture because she's scared of my phone and struggled a lot when I tried to get her (she was being a pain lol but I love her and she's a huge cuddlebug). It looks more ibvious in person. Please help!
20240507_155101.jpg

20240507_155541.jpg

Okay, I checked. Mouth looks clear. Ear hole looks clear--dry/no drainage, no mites or bugs, no plug/clog, and just fuzzy inside (which I suppose is normal?).

Not sure what to do. She's not acting like it hurts her, but as I said, it's definitely swollen.
Maybe it is caused by an insect sting or bite. You could give her some antihistamine and see if she gets better.

There were some other members here recently with similar issues and it turned out to be insect sting/bite.

But definitely keep an eye out in case she gets worse.

Maybe it is caused by an insect sting or bite. You could give her some antihistamine and see if she gets better.

There were some other members here recently with similar issues and it turned out to be insect sting/bite.

But definitely keep an eye out in case she gets worse.
Thanks for the advice! How much benadryl? I only have the tablets, 25 mg.

I got her a vet appointment but it won't be until Monday (Saturday if there is a cancellation). It's a little worse today in that the swelling is now around her eye, too. Still no discharge, respiratory symptoms, or anything else besides the swelling. Appetite is good and she's bright and energetic.

I put some antibiotic eye ointment in case, but should I put her on baytril, too? Or would that be to rash?

Thanks for the advice! How much benadryl? I only have the tablets, 25 mg.

I got her a vet appointment but it won't be until Monday (Saturday if there is a cancellation). It's a little worse today in that the swelling is now around her eye, too. Still no discharge, respiratory symptoms, or anything else besides the swelling. Appetite is good and she's bright and energetic.

I put some antibiotic eye ointment in case, but should I put her on baytril, too? Or would that be to rash?
Try first with half a tablet of 25 mg Benadryl and wait to see if the swelling gets better.

Swelling caused by insect stings or bites can increase during the first three days before it goes down.

I would not use antibiotics unless a bacterial infection is diagnosed or obvious. It could do more harm than good.

Try first with half a tablet of 25 mg Benadryl and wait to see if the swelling gets better.

Swelling caused by insect stings or bites can increase during the first three days before it goes down.

I would not use antibiotics unless a bacterial infection is diagnosed or obvious. It could do more harm than good.
Thanks! I've just given her a dose. Of course, they will be in bed soon, so not sure I'll see the results, but hopefully she'll have a restful sleep and some relief.

If a bug bite, would there be an obvious wound? I can't see any cut or pinprick indicating a wound site.

Back
Top Bottom