swollen eye, lethargic, laying rubber eggs

Do you have a friend who could come over and give you moral support? Or a friend that's a nurse or nurse's aid? I had a nurse friend come over and help me with a necropsy one time and I not only learned a lot, but it was so much easier with someone there that found it all very normal and interesting. And you will find it easier to have someone hold your hen still, wrapped tightly in a towel to confine her legs and wings while you work on the hen.

The pus will not respond to lancing, and you don't need to do any cutting or puncturing to remove the pus. Did you watch the videos yet? It's just a simple matter of putting pressure at the outer edges of the swelling to force the pus out of the eye. You'll know when all the pus is out when the eye settles back into its normal shape. Your hen is going to feel a lot better after you do it.

My husband will be helping me. I’ve watched the videos and then some. I’ve pushed on it to see if there was any sort of opening somewhere but there’s not. The tissue is all still in tact which is why I’m assuming I’ll have to lance to create an opening to actually dig it out.

The eye pretty much "floats" in its orbit. Anything behind the eye, pus or even worms, will pop out with a little pressure on the swollen tissue. It doesn't erupt through the skin as would a pustule on a human.
Ah! Okay—thank you! I’m at the feed store now and all they have is tylan 50 unfortunately. I don’t know how to get the recommended antibiotics without going to the vet.

You should be able to find terramycin eye ointment at the feed store.

Good Lord they are clueless here. Online is saying it’s in stock but they can’t find it. I found your comment about Fish Mox in another thread—does that still stand? 250mg Fish Mox works for adult chickens?

I had a silkie a few years back from Florida. Tennessee humidity was too harsh on it and it had runny nose its entire life. Also got an eye infection. We opened the eye and cleaned it, but eventually the eye began to decay. My friend and I removed the decaying eye and all of the junk inside the socket. Kept it clean and kept her happy, she lived for a while after that but eventually died in the winter. She just seemed to be a sick chicken from the day I got her. Good luck, dont be afraid to tackle this! You'll most likely help extend the chickens life by going at it now instead of later.

**We also kept her isolated from the ret of the chickens.

The Tylan50 would be good to use, especially if mycoplasma (MG) is the cause. Since the MG organism does not have a cell wall, it will not respond to amoxicillin. But Tylan, oxytetracycline, and Denagard are some of the things it will respond to.

Dosage of Tylan 50 injectable is 1/4 ml per pound given orally 2-3 times a day. Remove the needle and hold the chicken in your arm like a football, and squeeze the cheeks to open the beak, then squirt in a couple of drops at a time.

Back
Top Bottom