swollen eye, lethargic, laying rubber eggs

I think some people have had success in applying corn starch or flour to stop bleeding. Do you have someone that can go to Petsmart or Petco to get some Kwik-stop stypic powder?

I applied more blukote, washed her feathers, and it seems to have stopped. I think she keeps rubbing it on her back though and scratching it.

I’m so torn on what to do. It’s a mess. Do we attempt again later or bring her to the vet? I have one part of me that says it’s just a chicken let nature take its course and treat her the best you can and the other part is like just bring her to the vet and just get it over with. I know the cost will be high though.

I'm on an old iPad right now so the video won't play. Will check later when I can get on the computer.

It's 63 outside today--I have her in the coop alone is it too cold for a chicken with a wound? I just read your emergency link and you mentioned a sick chicken should be in the cold. (For us in the south today is a chilly day ha). I'm sure it'll be in the 70s soon though.

It's 63 outside today--I have her in the coop alone is it too cold for a chicken with a wound? I just read your emergency link and you mentioned a sick chicken should be in the cold. (For us in the south today is a chilly day ha). I'm sure it'll be in the 70s soon though.
When I have one that's I'll I like to place them in a really warm room, then watch for signs of overheating. Right now I have a old boy that's not feeling well got him in a hospital cage that's about 75 degrees. How active is she where she is now? If just sitting looking depressed, bringing her in and getting her warmer should perk her up.

When I have one that's I'll I like to place them in a really warm room, then watch for signs of overheating. Right now I have a old boy that's not feeling well got him in a hospital cage that's about 75 degrees. How active is she where she is now? If just sitting looking depressed, bringing her in and getting her warmer should perk her up.

She is huddled up. Just noticed little flies on her face. I’ll place her in a box for time being. I just know anytime I’ve done that she panics and tries to get out the whole time. She’s a fighter.

Attachments

• EC7E646A-6A23-45A1-80B6-36904B19CC0C.jpeg
    EC7E646A-6A23-45A1-80B6-36904B19CC0C.jpeg
    595.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 7F1A8B56-E8BC-4989-BE04-6C300D8D9C56.jpeg
    7F1A8B56-E8BC-4989-BE04-6C300D8D9C56.jpeg
    921.8 KB · Views: 11
Flies are bad news because they might lay their eggs in her wound. Those eggs hatch into maggots and then you have fly strike. I think if she were mine I would bring her inside.

Plain neosporin or Terramycin ointment would be good to use on the wounds, so hopefully they will heal soon. If a vet is possible, I would take her in, but I would let her skin heal before trying anything else. BluKote should not be used near the eyes. Keep her away from flies until the wound is better. Let her visit with the flock in a dog crate with supervision over the next few days, just so they don’t rearrange the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom