Swollen eye treated

Attila the Hen

Crowing
11 Years
Nov 6, 2010
Blue Ridge GA
My hen had a very swollen eye. I looked through the threads here and found the solution. Thank you BYC!!
I soaked off the outer crust with warm water on cotton balls and pulled out gobs of nasty cheesy puss. I then rinsed with saline solution and put in antibiotic eye cream. I feel hopeful she will recover with some time and continued cleaning etc.
What a wonderful resource BYC is and everyone who shares their experience.

My hen had a very swollen eye. I looked through the threads here and found the solution. Thank you BYC!!
I soaked off the outer crust with warm water on cotton balls and pulled out gobs of nasty cheesy puss. I then rinsed with saline solution and put in antibiotic eye cream. I feel hopeful she will recover with some time and continued cleaning etc.
What a wonderful resource BYC is and everyone who shares their experience.
Please post how it's going. One of my hens eye is closed. The eyelid is yellow and I can't tell if it's the color they are or if that means something.

I put a warm wet cotton ball on the eye to soften the dried matter so I could open it. When I was finally able to look it was clear there was a ton of infection. I gently wiped out what I could. I was not going to put sharp objects in the eye as shown on some videos.
I am now mostly flushing the eye with saline. Woman at tractor supply said it was infection due to respiratory issues. Hen sounds fine but is under the weather. Keeping her indoors and providing tasty food to eat. Still too early to know if she will make it but I see improvement.

Do you have any pictures of your chicken’s eye? Do you hear any rattly or wheezy breathing, or see any open mouth gasping? Some other signs of a respiratory disease is nasal drainage, sneezing or coughing? Many chickens do not drink enough when sick, so offer her water and try making some wet chicken feed. TSC and other feed stores sell Terramycin Eye Ointment that you cannput into the eye twice a day after cleaning and removing any pus.

I don’t have pictures and the eye is 100 times better than when I started. Most of the pus is out but small amounts return. I’ve been treating only once a day as it is so stressful and exhausting for hen.
No wheezing or any other signs of respiratory infection. Woman at tractor supply said not to bother with tetracycline as she found it made things worse. I started with tetracycline but stopped after her comment. She has probably over 100 birds.
I agree hen isn’t drinking enough. I have made moistened food with yogurt and offered sweetened water. Will continue in my efforts tomorrow. I feel optimistic about her recovery. She’s eating and moving around. I’m sure she would be better back in the flock but it’s too cold and she is still under the weather.

I would use it, since you have it. Is it LA 200 or what kind of tetracycline or oxytetracycline? What dosage or are you giving it in water? Tylan or tylosin is very good as well.

Back
Top Bottom